Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painted laptop

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Painted laptop

Any ideas  Huh my neighbor working in  is workshop trying to multi task  while on his laptop , was paint spraying from a tin some light fittings he had just made .
he wasnt watching  Shocked and has ended up covering his keyboard and screen with white overspray   Embarrassed
any suggestions to what to use to clean  Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Painted laptop

Depending on what type of paint it was..... depends on the "thinner" you will need to remove it...
I would try using a soft cotton cloth, with a very light "dip" of ordinary white spirit..... however... you should also have some kitchen towel handy to wipe the white spirit off, as soon as it has removed the paint spots....
As for the screen... well... if needs must.... you could try the above in a corner to make sure the spirit is not going to damage the screen,.... and again.. use kitchen towel quickly after wards to dry of... on completion... use a "baby wipe" to clean off any residue of spirit, and then a soft polishing duster with some furniture polish, might just do the trick.....
hope that works... cos... I never tried it... ! 
zedingrove
Grafter

Paint thinners not a good idea for the screen as white spirit/paint thinners will deffo damage the screen as has a very mild abrasion composition. Use Methylated spirits, as this is pure and will not harm the screen will also dry in seconds so will need to wipe off with an anti-static cleaner, and don't use paper towel rather use toilet paper if you don't have a lint free anti-static cloth.
Al3x
Dabbler

I second meths. use it all the time to clean PC components, normally filthy laptop exteriors because people are generally filthy animals and drink and eat all over them.  I have never had any issues with meths damaging screens or taking the finish off laptops.  If the paint has made its way into the keyboard's membrane however I would recommend a new keyboard, probably £15-£20 off ebay.  If the keyboard seems ok, remove it, clean behind it, brush any dirt off it and lightly clean each key with meths. 
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Orange oil cleaner may work.  The usual caveats about testing first on a small section....
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.