Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page loading really slow and jerky - solved but I don't understand the reason

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Page loading really slow and jerky - solved but I don't understand the reason

I had a problem with web pages loading - it would start off quickly then subsequent parts took ages and scripts on the pages kept stalling
It happened with Firefox and IE11
Speed tests were fine
I tried a change of gateway and that didn't help
I then tried Waterfox and every time I tried to open it Firefox opened instead
So I Googled and it appears that you can't have Waterfox and Firefox running at the same time - but Firefox wasn't apparently running
So did the usual 3 fingered salute and opened Task Manager - Yup - process Firefox.exe*32 was running so I closed it down and all the problems went away
So what is the reason for it not the fact that there was a process running without the application but killing web page access speeds in both Firefox and IE11
2 REPLIES 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Page loading really slow and jerky - solved but I don't understand the reason

One of those instances where the "classic" advice would have worked, eh?

Could it be that the runaway Firefox process was just occupying too much of the processor/memory capacity and anything you tried to do, Internet-related or otherwise, would have run badly?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Page loading really slow and jerky - solved but I don't understand the reason

That would have been my final resort but I was more interested in finding out what caused it
It certainly wasn't hitting CPU or Memory limits as all other programs ran properly
Taking your thought - I wonder if somewhere along the line internet access uses a common dll