cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSU & Motherboard

Spider
Grafter

PSU & Motherboard

Yesterday my PSU decided to go bang, as as the motherboard drains CMOS batteries at a rate of one per month if I disconnect it from the mains I decided it is time to replace both (or by a new PC). So started my research, and oh boy have I lost touch with the latest developments. The PSU that died was 420W and the CPU is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 so was looking at the an Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard, but even then with all the different chipset availabilities I was getting bamboozled. Don't get me wrong I have built numerous PCs over the years, just haven't kept up with the latest developments.
In a nutshell I am after a quiet PSU (strange that none seem to list dB figures) and a Motherboard that supports the following components:
Core 2 Due E6700
DDR2 RAM 800Mhz
Nvidia 7900GTX PCI-Express graphics card
Min 2 but ideally 3 PCI slots
Any suggestions to help my research would be most welcome.
10 REPLIES 10
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: PSU & Motherboard

Have you tried contacting "NOVATECH"  (across the water in Portsmouth)...  Cheesy
If you can speak to the tech guys there, or even email them.... they may be able to come up with a suitable set up for you... Wink
Spider
Grafter

Thanks Shutter, I had forgotten about Novatech... ooops
[EDIT]
Currently my two favorite options are:
Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45 (Socket 775) DDR2 Motherboard
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 650W Modular Power Supply
Just wondering if any one had experience of either product?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Heh, you think you're behind with the times... I'm still running single core!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Spider
Grafter

<snap> so am I! That is the PC I'm using at present.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I have a mate with a P5Q deluxe, it's a top board and overclocks very well - he's had an E8400 running at 4.5GHz with no issues on his one. Not sure about the PSU though. I'm liking the Corsair ones at the moment, but in my experience you can't go wrong with enermax or antec either. Looking at what you're running you should be fine with something around the 500W area unless you're planning on adding a lot of hard drives or more graphics cards.
Hope that helps,
Spider
Grafter

Decided on the PSU after reading several reviews and liked the fact that it was rated very quiet too. Originally started to look at 500W units but the minimum they did of this type was 650W, so decided to go for it. Haven't tried overclocking yet due to the old configuration but just might give it a go when the PC is set up again. Hopefully parts arriving tomorrow so I will post more when i know if I have made a mistake!  Wink
gadfly
Grafter

Enermax Power Supply Calculator - http://www.enermax.outervision.com/
Here is the equivalent page from Antec. -
Antec Power Supply Calculator - http://www.antec.outervision.com/
This Corsair PSU might be all that you need:
Corsair CX 400W ATX Power Supply [£34 in August 2010] -
Read the purchaser reviews. Any system running up to a GTX25 NVIDIA graphics card and a dual-core-processor will get all the power it needs. It is 100% stable even with overclocking.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-017-CS&tool=3
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

I've never used one myself, but I've heard Be quiet Dark Power PSU are supposed to be some of the best. I found them a bit pricey, but the same can probably be said of any top brand PSU.
I recently bought a Corsair TX750. I wish I'd gone for a modular PSU though.
Alxns
Grafter

I swear by silverstone PSUS
i went through 3 corsairs maybe just back luck  Crazy
but 500w would be fine 650 is really not needed unless your planing on some big upgrades later
ive got a sliverstone SST-ST50F
Running an
i5 750 @ 4.41ghz
Gigabyte P55 UD5
HD5770 @ 950/1300
2 Samsung DVDrws
1 WD black 640
1 WD green 750
its been rock solid for the last year and a half
i truly recommend it.
P.S
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P >> Everything else
what an amazing board handles great FSB speeds.
Spider
Grafter

Now had the PC back up and running for a while and slowly installing software so I thought I was time to post about my experiences.
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650W PSU - Although as other as said it is larger wattage than I really needed, I am very pleased I got it though. Due to the size of my case took a bit of fiddling plugging in the wires, but this I expected. My only complaint, and it was of my own making, was that I had missread the list of connections and thought there were 2 FDD plugs included rather than one. One adapter later and everything was sorting. Finally it is as described.... very quiet.
Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard - I had no problem with the installation of this until a fitted the graphics card (Geforce 7900GTX) and realised that it blocked one of the two PCI slots. Luckily the 2nd PCI slot was to fit a dialup modem so no great loss at the moment.
Once I got everything up and running I found that Windows XP had been corrupted and so would need a fresh install. Bit the bullet and spent some more money.
WD Caviar Green 500GB Hard Drive - Decided that I would do a fresh in stall on a new drive and wanted something that was quieter and runs cooler. The quieter is subjective, but the PC is quieter than it used to be. On the heat side the new HD is currently at 36oC whilst the old HD is at 40oC.
4GB DDR2 Memory - As I decided to change the operating system, thought I would fill up the two spare memory slots too bring the total memory to 6GB
Windows 7 Professional 64bit - I am always apprehensive when installing a new operating system but this went well in the initial stages and I have been impressed with it since. The main downside as been changing to 64bit as I found that there are not 64bit drivers for some of my older peripherals. Luckily I am still running a game server on XP so connected to them via that instead. On the software where side most as installed without major issue and only a couple of programs have failed to install, and they were quite old so I shouldn't complain too much.