Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN router + Apple airport help

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: PN router + Apple airport help

Perhaps there is a fault with the system keychain (which is where WiFi passwords are stored, if I remember rightly). You can run keychain first aid from the keychain app within the utilities folder.
That's RPM to you!!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@dgfr2 wrote:

. (My desktop iMac has no problem accessing the internet through the same router (and presumably the same Key.)

Are they wireless? If you go into the wireless settings on one of these devices do you have the option to show the wireless password? If so that might give you a clue.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dgfr2
Dabbler

My desktop iMac and my iPad have no problems accessing the internet via the same router.

Even the iBook seems to be in touch with the router because one of the panels that shows up while I am trying to go through the set-up procedure shows a row of blinking discs that is possibly showing the strength of signal being received (and rather a strong one). But when I click on 'Continue' it t just keeps telling me that an error has been made or something of that sort.

Many thanks for your continuing interest in this seemingly intractable problem.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does that iBook connect when you use a wired connection?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dgfr2
Dabbler

Do you mean an Ethernet cable (which is what I think my desktop iMac is connected with)? Or is it using only its Airport? I've never tried either one on its own. Do you think  should see what happens if I do?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Definitely worth a try - a wired ethernet cable won't ask for a password - although it will restrict your mobility. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Derek,

Sorry for the belated staff response and that you're having issues connecting your iBook to your wireless network. At the risk of affecting your other devices, can you try temporarily setting the wireless encryption to disabled? It may also be worth trying to set it to use WEP encryption. I've a hunch your iBook doesn't support WPA or WPA2.

You'll get to that screen to change those settings by going to 192.168.1.254 > Home Network > Configure in the top right hand corner. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgfr2
Dabbler

Thanks for your continued interest Gandalf, but

How do I go "to 192.168.1.254 > Home Network > Configure in the top right hand corner". 

(Top right hand corner of what?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgfr2  - What @Gandalf means is the you enter the 192.168.1.254 in to your browser. Log in to the page presented, then select the Home Network option and from there select Configure.

dgfr2
Dabbler

Thank you Mook, but I've tried what you suggest and SAFARi says that it "can't open the page http://192.168.1.254 because it could not connect to the server '192.168.1.254'"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgfr2 Oh! OK, what does the Network manager on your iMac show you for your Ethernet connection?

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Follow my instructions as from before, the settings are in the same place @dgfr2

Post #14 https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/PN-router-Apple-airport-help/m-p/16434...
That's RPM to you!!
dgfr2
Dabbler

Can't see any mention of Ethernet among the 82 items listed in Network Manager!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

Before you're clicking on http://192.168.1.254 is your iMac connected to your router's WiFi which should be something like PlusnetWireless123456 unless you or someone has changed the network name. 

To check the network connections if you go to System Preferences (the cog wheel on the dock bar at the bottom) then Network, you should see Ethernet and Wi-Fi with red or green dots next to them.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgfr2
Dabbler

How will I know if my iBook is connected to my router's WiFi? Connected in what way?

I notice that the name on my router begins with "PlusNet"but that is followed by a mixture of six digits and letters (not just digits as in your example).