Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN router + Apple airport help

dgfr2
Dabbler

PN router + Apple airport help

Hello everyone,

For several years my Apple iBook laptop has been happily connecting via its Airport with my home Plusnet router (and with many other routers at places away from home). But that iBook recently conked out and I have found another that also has airport.

Unfortunately, I am having problems connecting with even my home PlusNet router via Airport. The set-up asks me to enter the router network's password and I'm assuming that is the password of ten digits/letters that came with the router. But Airport refuses to accept them and seems to want some other password (but it doesn't tell me where I'm supposed to get it from).

Might any of you more experienced folk know what's going on here or have any idea how I might proceed to get back on the internet?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you can offer.

By the way, I am not now (and was not previously) using an Airport 'base station'. I'm assuming it's role is now being played by the PlusNet router. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seemed to be the way it worked on my previous iBook. 

Thank you in advance for any tips you can give me.

Derek

31 REPLIES 31
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: PN router + Apple airport help

You've bought another iBook or Macbook?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

There are two passwords on most routers, for admin and wireless. You are inputting the wireless one?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dgfr2
Dabbler

I wouldn't know. My router came with just one password as far as I remember. Where would I find these two passwords?

dgfr2
Dabbler

Acquired rather than bought, but yes I have a second iBook.

Baldrick1

@dgfr2 wrote:

I wouldn't know. My router came with just one password as far as I remember. Where would I find these two passwords?

It would help if you told us which router you have. If it's a wireless device then there should be two user names and passwords on a label somewhere on the device, one to get into the router settings and the other for the wireless key.

Note that this problem is not connected to your Plusnet log in credentials.

Moderator and Customer

dgfr2
Dabbler

The router I have is the plusnet Technicolor TG582N

When Airport Assistant finds the Plusnet network (and gives its SSID number, PlusnetWireless2EFE47) it tells me that it is protected by a password and asks me to enter the network password. 

I checked the label on the router as you suggested and found that there were no fewer than FOUR passwords (or what look like passwords) --  the Key (which was also sent me with the router, along with the SSID name on a separate slip of paper), a set of 11 digits/letters labelled SN and Router password, a set of 12 digits/letters labelled MAC, and a set of 13 digits/letters labelled GW.

I assumed the network password would be the one that was sent to me along with the router, but Airport tells me thyat (and each of the other three) is incorrect and to contact the network administrator.

Any ideas?

Baldrick1

The one you need is the Key.

Moderator and Customer

dgfr2
Dabbler

Well, I've tried the Key password several times but Airport won't accept it. I'm told to consult my Network Adminstrator. Is there any means of doing that on the Plusnet website? 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

That (Wireless) key is case-sensitive.

Make sure you choose the correct router & not some neighbouring router.

You are your own Network Adminstrator. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dgfr2
Dabbler

I have been respecting the case sensitivity of the key but it hasn't helped. (And presumably my desk-top iMac

And I only have the one router (which seems to be getting a pretty strong signal thro to the computer). It just won't accept the Key and let me get onto the internet. (My desktop iMac has no problem accessing the internet through the same router (and presumably the same Key.)

I certainly didn't have this trouble when I set it up some years ago. I wonder if should ask Plusnet for a replacement router and start afresh.

How does one get through to speak to Plusnet staff?

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

How old is this iBook and what OSX version is installed?
That's RPM to you!!
dgfr2
Dabbler

The iBook (G4) was bought new in 2004 and the OS is 10.3.3

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Hmm... Panther, not sure it had wpa2 compatibility with an airport card installed (will check later on).
Anyway just in case, can you login to the technicolour (with another already connected device) @ http://192.168.1.254 using “admin” for username and the password is the serial number starting with “CP...”
Once logged in click on “Home Network”, link on left, then click WLAN PlusnetWireless...
Click details top right and check what is listed for “WPA-PSK version” in the security section. If it’s “WPA2” you will have to change this to a mixed mode, click “configure” next to where you found “details” then you choose “WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK” for that option. It it already says “wpa&wpa2” then the problem lies somewhere else.
That's RPM to you!!
dgfr2
Dabbler

Thanks for giving me such amazingly helpful aid with navigation, but when I got to my destination it did indeed say "wpa&wpa2" so, as you say, the problem must lie somewhere else.