cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN from another location

samgregkt
Grafter

PN from another location

Now this might be a bit of a big ask but I want to get internet access from my laptop away from home in an area where I can't find a connection that isn't protected. I did think of a PAYG dongal but has PN got anything that I can link into my home PN account to give me this required connection?
The new location would be static not on the move.
Any ideas.
Thanks Mick

6 REPLIES 6
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: PN from another location

In a word, no.
I'd suggest a mifi on whichever mobile network(s) performs well in your temporary location.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Unfortunately, we don't support anything that could accommodate this, my apologies.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
samgregkt
Grafter

Thanks for your replies & I might seem a bit silly but what's a MIFI? my 16 year lad doesn't know either.
Regards, Mick
picbits
Rising Star

This may help Smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi
Most mobile providers can accommodate.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A mifi is a battery powered router that connects to a mobile network.  The advantages of a mifi over a dongle are:

• Multiple devices can connect (typically 5)

• The mifi can be placed in an area of good reception (by the window say) and then service devices elsewhere

• They don't stick out from a USB port so there isn't the risk of snapping it off!!

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If your phone supports tethering - your phone turns into a wireless access point and you can access the internet by using your data allowance.
Most smartphones will have this function.  Please check how much data allowance you get with your provider - in case you go over the limit and get charged.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up