Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Viewer wanted

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

PDF Viewer wanted

An alternative to Adobe PDF viewer is wanted....  Running Firefox 36.1 with Windows Vista Home Premium, and Norton Antivirus.
Must be able to open PDF`s attached to emails....  ( window Mail ).. 

Any offers ?
14 REPLIES 14
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: PDF Viewer wanted

Any particular reason you don't like / don't want to use Adobe Reader?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

List and links here
I use Nitro PDF Reader...
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I used to use Foxit but ditched it when they started attaching unwanted programs to the installation process making it a 'hunt down the opt out's'. Foxit also had issues with editable fields in PDF's that Adobe handled OK.
Let's be careful out there !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I use pdf-Xchange Viewer and it just works plus allowing a reasonable bit of annotating files
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
Any particular reason you don't like / don't want to use Adobe Reader?

Not my machine.... but the machine it is needed on... Advent Laptop... has Norton on it,... and when I tried to download Adobe Reader... it chucked it back, saying it was risky...
NedLudd
Grafter

That's very odd!  Huh
Geoff,
York.
shutter
Community Veteran

Have downloaded Foxit Reader to my memory stick... so will fix him up with that..... he uses a wifi dongle on his boat, where he has his laptop, so he has to be careful about downloads etc...
thanks for suggestions...
as always...... much appreciated.....
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Adobe Reader downloaded from the Adobe web site is not any more risky than any other software.  However if you just do a search and go to the item that is top of the list you could be downloading anything from anywhere and that certainly is risky.
shutter
Community Veteran

The search for Adobe Reader, and the subsequent refusal by Norton, was from the Adobe site...
Personally, I have no faith in the likes of Norton, Kaspersky etc.... Always had freeby antivirus, and only had a couple of trojans, which they picked up and dealt with... if it were my machine, I would dump Norton  and download from Adobe... but.. not for me to change someone elses paid for anti virus... ( unless they ask me to do so.... )...
chrcoluk
Grafter

I in the past tried 2 alternatives, foxit and another.
I ditched foxit for 2 reasons, it couldnt write to PDF files and some PDF files didnt work on it, I cannot remember why I ditched the other.
Adobe reader now days seems much better than it used to be. So I stick to that now, but I do disable the crappy plugins it adds to browsers so PDF files always open in the app not the browser.
NedLudd
Grafter

Don't understand why Norton would throw a wobbly with the Adobe download site.  Shocked
I've used Adobe & Norton Internet Security for more years than I care to remember and never had any problems.
My current PC has only been in action for a few weeks. N.I.S was installed straight after Windows and Adobe installed a few days later. N.I.S. didn't throw a wobbly!
Geoff,
York.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: Oldjim
I use pdf-Xchange Viewer and it just works plus allowing a reasonable bit of annotating files

+1
I also use PDFFill tools. It allows you to join and split PDFs as well as much more

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I'm running the latest Norton Security 2105 and Adobe Reader downloaded and installed without issue.
Let's be careful out there !
NedLudd
Grafter

Norton Security 2105
My goodness - a 90 year license! Where do I get one of those?  Wink
Geoff,
York.