Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDA to PDA

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

PDA to PDA

I would like to transfer data (contacts/address book etc. from a Palm pda (Tungsten T) to a Compaq pda (iPAQ 955) but am experiencing some difficulties doing so. I realise they're different OP's Palm and MS Mobile, but are they really totally incompatible? If the worst comes to the worst I can enter in all the data by hand, but it's going to be pretty laborious. Is the IR an option?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable

Re: PDA to PDA

Id have thought that IR would be an option - wondering though if it might be faster to sync the former with your PC, then sync the latter with your PC.
Its the way I get my details from one mobile to another when I replace them.
Midville
Grafter

Can't you just Sync with Outlook contacts and then reSync with new PDA?
petlew
Pro

Thanks guy's, I haven't got Outlook on the PC (although it is available as software, I just haven't loaded it) I have the Palm (similar to Outlook) software, but the iPAQ won't sync with it.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you use the Palm Desk top App (It should have come with the Tungsten) you contact list will be on the PC in ASCII format
petlew
Pro

Delighted to say have cured this one; the problem was that the Palm PC software (Desktop) and MS Outlook (for the iPAQ) wouldn't talk to each other. And, the iPAQ doesn't sync (and still doesn't) with the Palm desktop, not unreasonable I suppose since that both are chasing the same market, but annoying just the same (bit like Mac and Windows in some ways)
However a fix was found at: www.chapura.com downloading their Pocket Mirror software, this is a 7 day free trial, but if (as I did) you only need it once, you can get this done "free" otherwise it's around $22 for the registered version.
There is a manual fix at: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10163_7-6250542-9.html but it's very tedious, and apparently not for the faint hearted.

edit:  not sure why the series of dots are showing in the manual address, as it is 4520 in the reply typing window, but has changed in the "save"

Not applicable

Quote from: petlew
edit:  not sure why the series of dots are showing in the manual address, as it is 4520 in the reply typing window, but has changed in the "save"

We added a modification to the portal software that prevents folks from entering urls that stretch the page. Anything over a certain length *appears* truncated, but is actually the correct link if you click on it.
Your URL must be just on the borderline, hence its replaced one letter with three dots. Wink