cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe 3.0 on a 2.0 motherboard

Razer
Grafter

PCIe 3.0 on a 2.0 motherboard

In looking for a new build time and again on sites I am noting that builds are offered with PCIe 3.0 graphics cards on motherboards with PCIe 2.0 and I wonder; is it not a waste of money to pay for a PCIe 3.0 graphics card if the motherboard will only allow it to function at PCIe 2.0?
3 REPLIES 3
pyro9

Re: PCIe 3.0 on a 2.0 motherboard

It won't be a complete waste as it will still give a performance boost however on the other hand it will be throttled and not get the full usage out of the system. You could always look at upgrading to a cheap motherboard which supports PCI-E 3.0 x16 or save up abit longer to get both Cheesy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Are there many (if any) PCI-E graphics cards that can actually make use of more than the PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

Seems many, if not most of the latest graphics cards are PCIe 3 (at least the ones I'm looking at - AMD), but whether they can indeed make use of the bandwidth, I don't know - especially when I don't understand the complexities of it all. Grin Well anyway, nice to know that there would still be some worth in it.