cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC turned off - dead?

David_W
Rising Star

PC turned off - dead?

I'd just installed Halo 2, got into the intro sequence and my computer turned itself off and now refuses to turn on at all!
My G7's battery charger still works, its plugged into the USB port and power is going to it, but I still think *maybe* its the power supply?  Its only a couple of months old, 600W PSU, and is the only thing I can think of that may cause it.
I've tried holding the On button on for several seconds in case it got stuck in standby, but to no avail, the darn thing just won't power up.
Any suggestions or does everyone have the opinion that its a kaput PSU?
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: PC turned off - dead?

Other than it's your fault for installing a rubbish game  Grin
Does the motherboard include any diagnostic lights or codes during the boot sequence
Have you tried disconnecting from the mains for ten minutes and then reconnecting
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Are the fans turning on your PSU?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
David_W
Rising Star

I've unplugged it for a while and switched it on, nothing.  No fans power up, not even the PSU's fan.  No lights on the case light up, the only power that is going through is the power that powers my mouse batter charger (the light flickers which tells me its charging, unplug the PC and the light turns off).
This to me suggests power is going through the motherboard, so I'm vexed as to why the power isn't turning on fully.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

had something similar with a dead psu, there was enough juice to light up an l.e.d on the motherboard but nothing else. luckily i had a spare psu to test with.
so sounds like yours could be psu, probably not an internal fuse as something is getting through.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
David_W
Rising Star

The irony, as i said in another post I'm due to move in about a week or so, so I cleaned up everything which included throwing away 3 PSU's that I didn't think I would need.  A couple of days later I actually need my PSU's to test with.  If only I had kept one!  My brother is coming to help with the move, so he can bring a spare PSU to test it out with, but now I have to survive with a laptop which can't play games Smiley
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Stupid question, but you've not unhooked or dislodged the front panel connectors have you? Try unplugging them (with the power off), checking the power switch jumpers in the motherboard manual, and shorting them with a screwdriver. Careful only to short the two for the power switch.
It's also possible the switch in your case isn't making a good connection and that pushing it won't work despite a good connection on the motherboard.