Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC spec for video editing

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

PC spec for video editing

Hi all,
My aging AMD Sempron (TM) 2800+ just doesn't cut it anymore and it is time to spend some money.
I am converting 2 hour videos to DVD. I'll most likely be cutting footage from various tapes for writing to DVD, so the files willvary in size.
I would appreciate any advice.
7 REPLIES 7
Assos
Grafter

Re: PC spec for video editing

How much have you got to spend? If you can afford it go for a Mac, with superdrive (apple's name for a DVD writer). You'll even get *really easy to use* video editing software thrown into the deal. You might want to check out compatibility with any accessibility software you need for your dyslexia though. I've been doing some video editing on my macbook today and it works like a dream.
samuria
Grafter

Depending on the software you use the new Intel quad processors are what you need as they are in test 93% faster doing videos. Not all software can use all the cores but if it can it flys.
Not as dear as you think I just ordered one with 2 gig ram 500 gig sata hd £346 off ebay
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I have to agree with assos here as there was a TV show on a couple of weeks ago (The Gadget show I think) where the presenters tried making and then editing some HD Video.
The Mac sailed through the editing but the top of the range Windows laptop really struggled to handle the task. If you can afford it I would go for the Mac (its what they were built for) and I’m a die hard PC man myself.
Regards, P.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Another vote for the Mac here too, did a bit of playing around with iMovie the other week after seeing it on the Gadget Show and it just works.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Be3G
Grafter

Ditto about using a Mac. I haven't done much (if any) video editing in the past couple of years, but back when I was at secondary school I used to do some, first on Windows computers then on a Mac when I defected to the Mac OS some time in my last year. Macs were far easier to get the job done; the Windows software I used was always incredibly buggy (I didn't have the money to spend on something like Adobe Premier), and did a rubbish job, whereas with a Mac it was just so plain-sailing.
Two things to bear in mind though: whilst Assos has recommended a Macbook, unless you specifically want a laptop I would instead opt for a desktop of some sort - even the Mac Mini (which basically uses laptop components) is perfectly capable of video editing, but is considerably cheaper than a laptop. Of course, if you can afford an iMac, then one of those would be great for what you want to do. (Bear in mind that if you're a student you'll be eligible for quite a good discount - generally somewhere between 10% and 15% on Mac hardware.) Either way though, don't decide on anything until January the 15th, when chances are new Mac hardware of some sort will be announced.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thank you all for all of your advice.
As Assos pointed out:
You might want to check out compatibility with any accessibility software you need for your dyslexia though.

That is something I need to think about.
I have a number of Macintosh's 3 of them are G3 with OS 7, OS 8, and 1 with OS 9 on it.  I am Bidding on a copy of Apple iMovie 2, but as much as I love the Mac it well not be used Day in and Day out, So I want to get a New PC watt can do video editing, and will be used Day in and Day out.   Smiley
Assos
Grafter

Gary - you could always get a mac and install windows on it and get the best of both worlds?
Be3G, I wasn't specifically reccomending the macbook, just pointing out that I had been using it to do video editing and it was working well.