cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC restart disconnecting internet.

bugbod
Dabbler

PC restart disconnecting internet.

Since I moved to Plusnet every time I restart my PC I have no internet access when it comes back up.
It's easily remedied, just an annoyance.
Screencap: http://i.imgur.com/ajFk2.png
I change adaptor settings - disable - enable, as instructed by support. who have no idea why it happens and referred me here.
It's no big deal. I just wondered if there was a way to stop it.
OS Windows 7 Ultimate
AV/Firewall MSE
Not too technical, please.  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: PC restart disconnecting internet.

Start or restart or wake up the PC?  Did you change router and/or wireless adaptor when you moved to Plusnet?  
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Interesting problem, I connect via a wired set up using Linux, my wife connects using wifi on a Laptop Windows 7 and sometimes gets this same message, by selecting diagnose problem windows does it's stuff and then connects fine.
Perhaps it's using 2 different systems that confuses or resets the computer ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I wondered if it was because it had seen a different subnet ( 192.168.1.x ) using the PlusNet router as opposed to the old ISP router which MAY have been 192.168.0.x
How you fix it permanently if that's the case I don't know, I'm a Linux man myself.
Also googling seems to throw up some issues like this due to the Bonjour service but I'm not sure how that could correspond with a change of ISP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bugbod
Dabbler

Quote from: ReedRichards
Start or restart or wake up the PC?  Did you change router and/or wireless adaptor when you moved to Plusnet?  

restart, usually after installing Widows updates, but that's the most often reason for restarting.  Possibly start as well, but I haven't done that for a while.
I did change router. I don't have wireless enabled. The address is 192.168.1.xxx.  I get the Technicolour sign on screen when it starts up but I just change the adaptor settings.
MisterW, what is the Bonjour service?
Edit:  I Googled. Smiley  I don't have iTunes and it's not listed in my programs so I don't think I have Bonjour.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

You could try explicitly configuring your network adapter properties rather than rely on DHCP?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bugbod
Dabbler

Sorry, what is DHCP?
Where do I find that Internet Protocol screen?
I don't use IE, my browser is Pale Moon (basically Firefox)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Your router has a DHCP server built into it that automatically configures the devices you connect to it by assigning them a local IP address/DNS servers etc.
By carrying out the following, you'll bypass this and therefore rule out the possibility that the problem is related to DHCP assignment.

• Start > Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.

• You then need to right-click your network adapter and left-click 'Properties' in the context menu.

• Highlight 'Internet Protocol Version 4' and click 'Properties'.

• Make the changes suggested above (assuming the address of your router is 192.168.1.254?) and then click 'OK' twice.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bugbod
Dabbler

Thank you. Smiley
I have to go and do some gourmet piercing film several times just now but will try that later.  Microsoft updates will install tonight so I'll see how it goes.
mushy
Grafter

something else to try if you dont wish to give a set IP
go to network & sharing centre
manage wireless networks
highlight your wireless network
remove it from list
close box to go back to network & sharing centre
click connect to network (list of wireless conections should come up)
click to connect to your wireless connection
enter password or key
on the next box should be save this network and start connection automatically
make sure both are ticked and then close
check you have a connection and can browse the net
reboot and see if it automatically reconnects ok
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The router assigns an IP address to your network adaptor using DHCP.  The router then has to distinguish between long periods of inactivity when the network adaptor is not in use but the computer is still connected and the situation when the connection is broken or the computer is switched off.  So either the router is failing to recognise when the computer is briefly shut down or the network adaptor somehow remains powerrd-on through a restart of the computer (but the computer loses its memory of any assigned IP address etc).  So, basically, either your router is faulty or your network adaptor is faulty.  Either way, setting fixed parameters for the network adaptor (instead of using DHCP) should work around the problem.