Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC or laptop?? that's the question!

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: PC or laptop?? that's the question!

Another possibility might be a KVM extender - example: http://www.maplin.co.uk/aten-kvm-extender-usb-681822
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All
Well, I've finally reached a decision. Grin But first  a zillion thanks to all of you who contributed. Cool When I first raised this question, I really didn't have a clue as to what to go for... my knowledge of what is available out there was virtually nil  :-[and I certainly couldn't have identified all the options or weighed up the pros and cons without your help. So thank you.
OK, so here's how I reached the decision:
First, I concluded the idea of having an extra  PC downstairs as well as upstairs  wouldn't work for me cos if I wanted to work in say the dining room in an afternoon and say the sitting room in the evening this was impractical cos I'd either have to hump everything from one room to another or have a PC in each room which is kinda overkill Grin
Second, my wife decided that running cable from our spare room to the two main downstairs room was grounds for instant divorce as it would make a mess etc ..if you're in a long-term relationship/married you'll know what i mean  Embarrassed  My wife also decided that she wasn't having desktops downstairs. Sad
Third, I should give up on the idea of a good reliable fast wireless link between a desktop and its remote mouse, keyboard and monitor, cos it's just too good a thing to actually happen at least for the next 7 or 8 millennia Sad
Fourth, I should explore the possibility of getting my desktop upgraded so that it can cope with Windows 7.. this means a better graphics adapter for the Windows Aero interface (whatever that is) and  either a new chipset driver or new chipset (whatever they are). This would stay upstairs in the spare room.
Fifth, I should buy a decent laptop  Shocked  for working downstairs as it's really the only practical lightweight solution to the mobility issue.  It's not ideal because the power, speed, storage,  ergonomics and upgrade potential won't be there but it seems the only feasible and affordable option in the circumstances.
Pheww got there in the end... so thanks again guys, much appreciated!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Come back after you have managed to avoid Windows 8.  Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: hollytree
Second, my wife decided that running cable from our spare room to the two main downstairs room was grounds for instant divorce as it would make a mess etc ..if you're in a long-term relationship/married you'll know what i mean  Embarrassed  My wife also decided that she wasn't having desktops downstairs. Sad

Don't worry too much about the wife. You have to compare logic to make them see sense. She needs 46 pairs of shoes, 12 hats, 36 little black dresses etc, you need a network cable and a PC up and downstairs. It's just logic.
If she doesn't accept that, well.. take charge and tell her straight: It's happening! Wink
No seriously.. my missus is just the same yet I've filled up pretty much every cupboard in the house. All the space under the bed is done for, two extra sheds have appeared, half the kitchen worktops have USB powered equipement on / under them (printers etc). I've had so many threats of "I'm going to move out" that I've stopped taking them seriously years ago  Grin
The key yto making these things work is that they'll only be TEMPORARY. You WILL move them ASAP once you're done with them. Never specify a period of time though, I nearly got caught like that lol. So far my temporaryness has stretched many years  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AndrewLorimer
Grafter

Aren't women tolerant?