Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC or laptop?? that's the question!

hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

PC or laptop?? that's the question!

Thinking of replacing my ancient Dell desktop. But can't make up my mind what kind of PC I should get!  Undecided The trouble is that I spend a lot of time in front of the computer with word-processing, photo-editing, design and financial software so need a big screen, bags of CPU power and very comfortable keyboard.
But what I would also love is the ability to work in different rooms in my house especially when the weather turns colder, without having to hump the PC, monitor and keyboard up and down stairs!
I've tried googling to see if there's an online  Q&A matrix to help me arrive at an answer ... but without success.
What are your thoughts?
49 REPLIES 49
Devonian
Grafter

Re: PC or laptop?? that's the question!

Well my laptop does everything my desk top does, I can play the same games on both, TBH I don't see any difference at all.
They both run Windows 8,  and I would happily live without the desk top.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I guess I'm the opposite to that.
My desktop encodes and burns dvdrw's daily. It's happy to whirr away for hours.
My laptop tends to spend its time leaning up against my bedroom wall, used only on the odd occasion.
picbits
Rising Star

For the price of a high end laptop with a big screen (they are a pain as they are so bulky !), you could get a much higher specced desktop with a decent screen and processor plus a tablet or cheap laptop for "bumming around with".
I use an Argos refurb laptop (which seemed to be new) that I got off eBay for £170 for everyday use and a quad core AMD machine with three monitors in the workshop for anything that requires some oomph.
colintivy
Rising Star

Surely the size of the screen is the difficult bit, Most PCs and laptops are similar in spec for normal use and the OP says that the screen is a concern. I currently use a HP laptop most of the time and find the 15" screen OK, but my 19" screen on the old Dell desktop is much better for graphics.
shalom2010
Grafter

I can spend 5-8 hours on some days on my PC, so could not really use a laptop for that period. Having a big screen is lovely and a comfortable sitting position is vital - to keep any aches at bay. Editing photos on a laptop for me, is a no no.
Most of the screens are not up to the job, in my opinion, but if you just wanted to crop and do a few light edits I guess it would do. Viewing photos however, again, for me, (on a nice colourful screen) -  how can you beat a good monitor (like my Eizo), compared
to a laptop (most having shiny surfaces, yuck!).
Picbits has the best solution, get the best PC you can and a cheap second hand laptop for web browsing, gaming etc.
redsetter
Grafter

its a matter of preference,but for home use it would always be a desktop for me.
MrT
Grafter

My Dell laptop, which I use for several hours each day,  has a 17" screen. It has Windows 8, Intel Core i5 processor and 6GB RAM. It cost just under £500.
As a bonus - it is easily transported from room to room.  Smiley
hmarshy
Rising Star

Get a 17" laptop, it meets your needs perfectly.
My 17" laptop which is my main computer has been going strong for 6 years. My requirements were identical to yours when I bought it.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

laptops are ok but are hard to upgrade , if you buy a lappy thats not really what you expect  you are stuffed  Cry  at least with a desktop you can easy swap some hardware  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: rongtw
laptops are ok but are hard to upgrade , if you buy a lappy thats not really what you expect  you are stuffed  Cry 

If you buy a laptop, or any computer,...... surely you would check out the spec before laying out any cash...... then you would KNOW what to expect....  Roll_eyes
hollytree
Rising Star

Big thanks to everyone that replied so far.  Smiley
Looking at your responses confirmed my worst fears that there currently isn't a simple solution. Some of you prefer the power and comfort of sitting at a desktop PC, while others prefer the mobility of a laptop. I need both! Roll_eyes
I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and go for a top-notch desktop AND a basic laptop. Ouch the expense!  Sad
gromittz
Grafter

Another option...
Buy a good laptop that has HDMI out and if your TV is capable, use that as a monitor ?
And for a more desktop/office type arrangment, buy suitable sized monitor and connect the laptop up to that for when you need a bit more screen.
Should'nt be any reason why you couldn't even go as far as adding a wireless keyboard and mouse in if you want a bit more comfort and portability.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: hollytree
But what I would also love is the ability to work in different rooms

Well there you go then, you've already decided yourself anyway.
Get a big-ass laptop!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Buy 2 big desktops.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."