cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC loses BIOS config

Fixes: 83

PC loses BIOS config

I have a PC running Vista Home Premium on an Asus P5ND2 SE M/B.
If I shut down at night and restart the following evening...no problems.
If I shut down and turn off the power at the mains at night, when I restart the following evening the POST tells me the CPU has been changed and needs configuring in the BIOS.
If I ignore this and press f1 the PC starts up as normal.
I changed the M/B battery but no difference.
If I go into the BIOS all the settings are normal and don't need setting.
This has happened from new (about 5 months) but it is not worth the hassle of returning it to the supplier.
Any ideas guys Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
4 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: PC loses BIOS config

Maybe it's only borderline broken?
It would be advisable to make a written copy of your BIOS settings.
If it's under warranty it would be definitely worth having it fixed - perhaps it's even a motherboard problem.

Community Veteran

Have you tried clearing the cmos? Normally  there is a jumper to do this every time I have had this problem that sorts it.
holdtight
Grafter

I tend to agree with Jeremy if this has been happening from new and is still under warranty i would definitely return it for replacement if it were mine as it does sound like a fault rather than a setting and i cant see clearing the cmos if you've already replaced the battery sorting it out
Not meaning to sound condescending or pointing out the obvious but it was a new battery you put in and not one from an old mobo you had sitting around ?
Fixes: 83

Quote from: Bill_M
Not meaning to sound condescending or pointing out the obvious but it was a new battery you put in and not one from an old mobo you had sitting around ?

No Bill it was a new one supplied free of charge from the PC supplier. Smiley
I tend to think that by the time I get the supplier to do anything about this, probably sending me a replacement M/B, I would be thinking about upgrading it anyway.
So in the absence of a quick fix I'll live with it for now.
Thanks all for your replies and suggestions, they are most appreciated.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine