Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC loses BIOS config

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

PC loses BIOS config

I have a PC running Vista Home Premium on an Asus P5ND2 SE M/B.
If I shut down at night and restart the following evening...no problems.
If I shut down and turn off the power at the mains at night, when I restart the following evening the POST tells me the CPU has been changed and needs configuring in the BIOS.
If I ignore this and press f1 the PC starts up as normal.
I changed the M/B battery but no difference.
If I go into the BIOS all the settings are normal and don't need setting.
This has happened from new (about 5 months) but it is not worth the hassle of returning it to the supplier.
Any ideas guys Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: PC loses BIOS config

Maybe it's only borderline broken?
It would be advisable to make a written copy of your BIOS settings.
If it's under warranty it would be definitely worth having it fixed - perhaps it's even a motherboard problem.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

Have you tried clearing the cmos? Normally  there is a jumper to do this every time I have had this problem that sorts it.
holdtight
Grafter

I tend to agree with Jeremy if this has been happening from new and is still under warranty i would definitely return it for replacement if it were mine as it does sound like a fault rather than a setting and i cant see clearing the cmos if you've already replaced the battery sorting it out
Not meaning to sound condescending or pointing out the obvious but it was a new battery you put in and not one from an old mobo you had sitting around ?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Bill_M
Not meaning to sound condescending or pointing out the obvious but it was a new battery you put in and not one from an old mobo you had sitting around ?

No Bill it was a new one supplied free of charge from the PC supplier. Smiley
I tend to think that by the time I get the supplier to do anything about this, probably sending me a replacement M/B, I would be thinking about upgrading it anyway.
So in the absence of a quick fix I'll live with it for now.
Thanks all for your replies and suggestions, they are most appreciated.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine