cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC is reluctant to start

dgk
Grafter

PC is reluctant to start

My PC is reluctant to start, I turn it on  at the wall 13 amp socket,  then press the button on the front of the PC, and nothing happens. After a while the PC will start, the time I have to wait is getting longer. Last week it started after, probably less than a minute, but today it was over 10 minutes.
This happens the first thing in the morning, if after the PC has been running, I turn the PC off and immediately on again it will restart ok
The PC is four years old.
Has anyone any idea what could be wrong?
17 REPLIES 17
techguy
Grafter

Re: PC is reluctant to start

Off the top of my head either a PSU or Motherboard fault, does anything else happen when using the PC?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Does sound like a failing capacitor in the PSU dragging one of the power rails down.
Can you borrow a known good PSU to try.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
techguy
Grafter

So it would probably be easier to replace the PSU, right Strat?
Strat
Community Veteran

It's an easier test as nothing needs removing....if one can be borrowed.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dgk
Grafter

Thanks for both replies
When PC is running it behaves as normal.
Are there any checks I could do on PSU (have multimeter)
Strat
Community Veteran

It's not an easy thing to test in situ and apart from that there are mains voltages about, albeit in the PSU box so it's not advisable.
I would try a replacement unit but I'm probably in a better situation to do that than yourself.
Ask about and see if anyone you know has an old PC not doing anything that you can borrow the PSU from.
dgk
Grafter

I have 2 PC’s did not realise PSU would be so interchangeable.
Stat you say” It's an easier test as nothing needs removing”
Is it possible to route the output cables from good PC onto faulty one. Or do I remove / interchange PSU’s
techguy
Grafter

Think you'll find it easier to physically move the PSU as cables are usually quite short to ensure they do not impede the flow of air.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

PSU's are so cheap I'd just buy another one. Just make sure it's the right spec.
I got one the other day (400W ATX) for £13 delivered.
Strat
Community Veteran

I have temporarily patched in a spare PSU to do this kind of test. Just make sure you position it thoughtfully so as not to cause any short circuits.
dgk
Grafter

My PSU is a 400W ATX
If I do need a new PSU  can I buy any 400W ATX  or do the fittings / cables differ
Strat
Community Veteran

Unless you have 3 or 4 DVD drives installed etc a 400W ATX would be ok. It doesn't have to be exactly 400W as most PSUs such as this one will do. Just check what connectors you need and make sure the chosen PSU has them.
samuria
Grafter

Its tired and doesnt want to get up in the morning. Were do you keep it could it be getting damp or very cold? I have old pc's in the shed and get the same problem when they are brought in to the house once they warm up they are ok. Does hitting the reset fire it up quicker?
Another thing that can cause it is the power switch sticking in check thats ok.
Does anything work ie does the hd light come on, beep, cd light up, fan spin?
dgk
Grafter

Feedback
I fitted a new powersupply last friday, since then everything has been ok