Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC is dead

Gstar
Dabbler

PC is dead

Hi
Firstly i apologise in advance as this is not going to be described particularly eloquently.
My pc recently froze and i reached for the power button to re boot which normally works. Now when i turn the pc on i get a long high pitched noise (the same as always happens when this particular pc turns on it just lasts longer). The sound is for about 5 seconds followed by a 2 second break followed by the same, infinitley i guess. Nothing comes up on my monitor.
The only other things of note are  two LED's which i have never noticed before. One is now constantly green and one is constantly red. The red one has a picture underneath, a circle sitting on top of a rectangle. Much like a little person i guess.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: PC is dead

Do we have to read all the hardware manuals of every make and model of PC for you, or are you going to tell us what it is?  Grin
Not applicable

Often you get long beeps from the motherboard when an essential component is 'missing'
Missing really means 'not detected' so it could be any number of things - loose or frazzled RAM, loose or frazzled processor etc.
Given the hanging incident, it seems likely that it was an IO component rather than a power issue - I'd place my bets on a RAM problem with the limited info.
Gstar
Dabbler

Sorry, didnt realise the relevance. I just assumed it would be a generic problem, i.e 'your such and such is broken.'
It was bought from Mesh and has the following spec
Elite Q6600 PCA
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor(2.4GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
Digital & Analogue TV Tuner PCI Card + Vista Remote
Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 1000W PSU - Black
PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI nForce 680i SLI(C55XE) - Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX
2048MB DDR2 900MHz Memory -( 2x 1024MB Kit)
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
640MB nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV-Out
22" Widescreen Digital & Multi Media TFT Display (Iiyama E2200WS, 5ms)
DVI connector Cable
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound Card (oem)
Creative Labs I-Trigue 3330 - 2.1 Surround with Subwoofer
Logitech Internet 1500 Laser Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse
Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
6x USB 2.0 Ports (8x possible on motherboard)
2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
Internal 33-in-1 Memory Card Reader
Is that the info needed?
Thanks
artificer
Grafter

something similar happened to one of my computers and it was much better after i gave it a good clean inside, reseated the cpu with arctic silver paste and treated it to an upgraded power supply.
if you can run memtest86+, this will eliminate the ram as being faulty.  if the ram is ok, we can start considering other components.  how long have you had the machine?
HPsauce
Pro

Mesh have a pretty good support site. If you go on there (may have to register) with your serial number there's all sorts of information and support available.
If the sound you describe is coming from the PC speaker it MAY be a memory problem (none recognised) but you need to look at the manual for the motherboard (or the MESH support web site) to be sure; there are usually lots of different "sound messages" with different patterns.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

...commonly referred to as Bios Beep Codes Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

Indeed, but given the wording of the initial post I was trying to be non-geeky  Grin
(but a useful reference if looking at the documentation)
holdtight
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
...commonly referred to as Bios Beep Codes Smiley

Indeed they are but even with the bios beep codes in front of you can sometimes be hard to diagnose
especially with a code that doesn't correspond with anything listed, oh the amount of times
i don't even want to think about it
Denzil
Grafter

Is the noise coming from the PC speaker? It can be difficult to tell where high pitch noises come from, but BIOS beeps are usually fairly definite beeps that are not that high pitch. If it is really high pitched it may be a faulty power supply. Capacitors can make noises like that - like flash guns charging - so it could be the power supply is detecting a fault, shutting down, then starting up ad infinitum.
prichardson
Grafter

The spec looks reasonably new. Is it not within any on-site or return-to-base warranty periods.
Gstar
Dabbler

Thanks for the responses, i will have a spring clean and check all connections.
Have contacted Mesh customer support but am still waiting for any kind of reply.
Anyway, thanks for the input.
Gstar
Dabbler

Dont know if it makes any difference but have just checked the pc and the beep is actually 13 seconds continuous followed by a 3 second gap then repeat...........
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Logitech Internet 1500 Laser Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse

Hope it isn't really a laser...
Do you have a real keyboard you could use - you might need to press the ANY key or something.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

had a long conversation on another forum about the "any" key.  no one could find it.