Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC freezing

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

PC freezing

My sons PC has suddenly started to completely lock up after around 20mins of use. Hes mainly playing games, like minecraft or Roblox.  He says everything just suddenly stops, no response from anything and the only cure is to do a reset or forced restart.

I have noticed his CPU is running at around 60-65degrees now at idle. Its an AMD FX6300. It used to run at around 35-40degrees at idle.

Other PC specs are, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, GEForce GPU.

I am unsure if this is overheating or not, the system has 2 120mm case fans, 1 in and 1 out.

This only started yesterday when he decided to download some mods for minecraft,  I have told him to uninstall them first off.  Could this be a virus or a failing drive as well.

I would appreciate any assistance....

35 REPLIES 35
jab1
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 153

Re: PC freezing

When was the PC last serviced/cleaned? A build-up of dust/debris could be a factor here.

John
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I upgraded his CPU over christmas, from an AMD Athlon to the FX6300. Is also not running the stock cooler but an Arctic Alpine cooler, that came with the chip. 

Its not been opened up since then really.  I will have a look at see.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Windows 10? Mine does this regularly as the system has a nasty habit of installing updates in the background without being notified, so I can be in the middle of something and the screen will freeze for anywhere from 10 minutes to  couple of hours. It's then just a case of wait for it to do its thing and it is fine for the next month or so, until another big update comes along 😒

jab1
Aspiring Legend

Highly possible, @Marksfish , although CPU temperature seems a bit high - to me, anyway.

John
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I'll pull it to bits, and clean up, and re paste the chip. I did use mx4 when installed, but the tube is a few years old. I have heard thermal grizzly krionaught is better than Arctic silver....
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 wrote:

... although CPU temperature seems a bit high - to me, anyway.

Hmm, just a bit warm @jab1  Grin

This is what I'd call high ;

CPU-temp.PNG

My main PC desperately needs a re-build but I don't really want the downtime, although I'd benefit in the long term due to the CPU not being almost constantly throttled back.

The problem is in my case it's not just a simple matter of whipping the cooler off the CPU and replacing the thermal paste because when I do it I want to replace the CPU and the new cooler requires a reinforcing plate to be added to the back of the motherboard, which in turn requires its removal.  So a complete strip down is necessary.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

The issue here it could be a number of things. 

Once pulled apart, will see if there are any obvious issues.... CPU temps not that high then, also would have thought overheating would cause other issues not just a very sudden complete freezing of the system. Even if he leaves it a while it doesn't unfreeze. 

Will get some better paste, and maybe a better cooler like a cooler master evo 212

He also told me just now he's been having trouble for a while with the system taking ages to boot, over 10mins to get to the login page, but runs fine after this.... I'm moving towards either windows corruption or maybe failing hdd. 

Kids🙄🙄

jab1
Aspiring Legend

@penfold Either of your last ideas are possible. Can you run a system/performance check? Never used any, but there are some programs out there to do just that. As for Windows corruption - 'nuff  said, so I won't.😀

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 346

@penfold  The AMD spec. https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-6300 gives a maximum temperature of 70.5 degrees so it should not be idling at 65. The last AMD processor that I had developed an internal fault and once I started working it was fine for a bit then would suddenly go into thermal run away and crash. As long as I ran it with all the sides off the case I had no problems. So it could be a chip problem. It could also be a power supply fault.

If it previously ran cooler I would not expect it to be a thermal paste deterioration problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1
Cpu is still under warranty, so I Could rma and see if its the chip.
Otherwise its a long troubleshooting process
Baldrick1

@penfold 

I would RMA it and get it checked out. I should have mentioned that the one that I had was many years ago and one of the early dual processor types. This only ran away on one processor, the other stayed cool, so just monitoring the average chip temperature would not have detected the problem. I don’t know if there’s any tools available to monitor the individual cores in your chip?

Moderator and Customer

penfold
Aspiring Pro

I was using core temp, but it only reported the same temperature on each core. Oddly I updated core temp, and now it only detects 3 cores, but Windows still detects 6, as does hwmonitor. Before yesterday it idles around 35, now around 65ish, even when just booted to windows. Will contact vendor
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just come back home, and thought I would see what's going on. Booted up and was running at idle with little CPU activity at 38degrees!!!!. Windows updates started using CPU cycles and temp went up to mid 50s.   He started playing a game, and with windows updates running in background and total CPU percent 55, running at around 66degres.  He's checked again 10mins in and it had gone up to 76degrees. Still same CPU percent. Took side off pc, and air coming from CPU cooler quite hot, but all fans running.  Temps coming down when side off. Put a desk fan  in front of it, and it's running at 65degrees, and running fine. Seems to me to be an overheating issue, but is it CPU or general cooling.... Has a 120mm front fan drawing air in, and 1 120mm side fan pulling air out. PSU is at top with fan facing down. CPU fan running at 1800rpm.  Any advice, I'm a bit stumped... Maybe a better CPU cooler with new tube of paste???

Baldrick1

Looking at the spec for your cooler it’s main feature is being low profile, not it’s cooling efficiency. I would definitely get a better one if you have sufficient height. When you replace the paste remember to clean off all traces of the old stuff and use the lightest of smears of the new stuff. A metal to metal contact between the chip and heat sink baseplate is far better if there is no gunge, this is applied to just fill any voids between the two because of surface imperfections.

People think that it’s good and have a big tube of it so plaster it on, this is the last thing that you should do.

Moderator and Customer