Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC freezing

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: PC freezing

@penfold wrote: Anyone any other ideas????

Just a thought, what are the temperatures of the graphic card? If it runs ok but then gets into problems while actually gaming, I'd be more inclined to look at the fans (make sure they do kick in when required) and the memory. Have you got a spare graphic card to try?Maybe take out the card to see if you can see any obvious problems on it.

While I too have had some graphic issues recently (RX5700) I have finally nailed it. I thought it was a windows / driver issue, memory issue or even the monitor but it turned out to be the HDMI cable. Every so often it would fall over. Since I've bought a new one, no problems whatsoever.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks.  Cards recently been out, during the rebuild into a new case.

I did note when looking in the AMD software, that the fan speed settings were rubbish on automatic, so set them to manual, and created a new fan profile.  Oddly enough if the system freezes, it resets the fans to automatic again!!  GPU temps with my fan speed profiles top out around 55 degrees.  Its also the whole system, as the keyboard etc are unresponsive.

I have spare HDMI cables so will try one.

Oddly I had him play a different game tonight, one he installed onto his PC, Halo.  Its an old game but he put the video setting to max, at 1080p resolution, and not 1 issue.......  He can also watch you tube videos at HD resolutions in full screen with no issues...

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@penfold wrote:

I did note when looking in the AMD software, that the fan speed settings were rubbish on automatic, so set them to manual, and created a new fan profile.  Oddly enough if the system freezes, it resets the fans to automatic again!!  GPU temps with my fan speed profiles top out around 55 degrees. 

Oddly I had him play a different game tonight, one he installed onto his PC, Halo.  Its an old game but he put the video setting to max, at 1080p resolution, and not 1 issue.......  He can also watch you tube videos at HD resolutions in full screen with no issues...

If the AMD software detects an issue, I've noticed that things tend to get reset to default settings. I tend to overclock my GPU card (which is only what it is supposedly rated at anyway) but come a problem at boot and I can guarantee its gone back to the default settings.

The only other thing that springs to mind (and bearing in mind it is online gaming) are you losing the connection - maybe even temporarily but enough to get the game(s) to throw a wobbly. I've had it in the not too distant pass on World of Warships where things lock up, screen, mouse etc but wait long enough and things catch up again. Not good for gaming admittedly. btw That problem turned out to be a game file issue.

Just thoughts anyway. Good luck.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Found issue may have been a failing hdd. Replaced with a spare and did a fresh install of Windows. All was fine until system froze again, but this time when reset, the system said the bios was corrupt. It recovered from its backup, but could this be a mobo failing, as the root cause... Bios is at its most up to date revision.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Bios battery ?

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Shutter....

At this point in time I will try anything. Ill replace the BIOS battery tonight.

Thanks