Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC freezing

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: PC freezing

Thanks. I will look at a better cooler, likely a cooler master evo 212, gets good reviews. Anyone have any other preferences. It's not a full atx case, but the next one down, but should have the height....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well unfortunately the evo 212will not fit. Any ideas on a low profile good gaming cooler, or I may invest in a bigger case for him, should also improve airflow....

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Remember also to change the clock battery on the motherboard.

I've seen PCs freeze up and become erratic many times due to the battery failing. I'm told it shouldn't be possible and yet i've witnessed it many times. It's now the first thing i replace if i start running into issues.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@penfold 

They may cost a bit more but have you considered liquid cooling? If you get the sealed ready to fit kit there’s no plumbing involved. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Remember, regardless of how you cool your PC this only works when the ambient temperature is lower than that of the heat dissipated.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Mook 

Very true, that is why I suggest liquid cooling. With conventioal CPU cooling the cooler removes heat from the CPU and stirs it around inside the case, raising the ambient inside the case. You then need the inlet and outlet fans to reduce the ambient inside the case.

With liquid cooling the radiator is located on the outer edge of the case, if necessary replacing the exhaust fan. Ignoring thernal losses the heat generated by the CPU no longer heats the case internals so the inner case temperature is lower. This lower temperature air is then pumped over the CPU radiator as it exits the case. This, I contend, is a far more efficient way of cooling a PC, especially if it's quite powerful/thermally lossy for the size of case.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 @Mook 

Thanks.  I did consider water cooling, but I thought a bit overkill for what he does, which is why I was surprised its suddently started to overheat.  The Vendor is RMA the chip, so will see what happens there.

I agree ambient temps are a factor, and its been very hot the last couple of days, so maybe a causative factor.

Will take the system apart, once new chip arrives, and reseta everything and clean. I will also use a better cooler.

THanks for the comments

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@penfold  As @jab1 mentioned, sounds very much like the CPU fan is failing while running - dust maybe etc. A bit of load and the whole thing falls over.

As to W10 booting there was an update not that long ago that created problems (plenty of Youtube vids on the subject) - I suddenly had a few problems getting it to find the boot disk to even get to the log in screen. But the very recent update seems to have cured that issue.

But as you have a RMA on the go, once that arrives and is fitted, I would look up DISM and SFC commands and check the OS with those tools. Just in case of corrupted files, which there might well be if the system has crashed etc. Unless, of course, you intend to re-install everything.

And yes, 65°C idling isn't good. Even my 3900X idles at 42°C.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Idea now is to get an aftermarket cooler, likely the cooler master hyper TX3, and also a new case, the one he has looks cramped. I will also wip the drive, as it is refuses to install updates, even after running the troubleshooter, and on reboot gets stuck in an installing updates loop, the needs a forced reboot. Hopefully then all will be OK. BTW the dism restore, refused to find the files it needed😕😕
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just an update to all who contributed...

Swapped out the cases, and installed an aftermarket cooler. Full windows reinstall.

Now system fine, with temps running at 35ish under a good load....  Reading up around the subject it seems these FX chips do tend to run hot with stock coolers.

Anyway all happy and no complaining teenager anymore!!

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ok. Back to moaning teenage son... It's started again. System was completely rebuilt, but as I posted previously I didn't get chance to reinstall windows. Anyhow it was working fine, but it's started freezing again. CPU definitely ok, and system cool. I was wondering if this is a graphics issue. It's an AMD rx570, running v 21 of the adrenaline driver. I'm wondering if for some reason the driver is stopping. Everything is fine when running nothing intensive, but once he starts gaming after usually 10 mins it freezes. Only a reboot gets back to normal. 

I'm pretty much stumped as to the cause. I've completely uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled, but still no joy...

Anyone have any idea.....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

As you know... I`m not "that" techy...... but you say it has bee running fine for 2 weeks ( i.e. since your last post)... then it started freezing again.   Could it be a recurring Windows update that is causing this ?

Pain in the butt to re-install windows and all the other stuff... 

Does the "gaming" NEED windows ? to be able to run properly ?Huh

Don`t know whether it would.... but you could try using a "Live LInux Mint 20.1" installed on a USB stick and check out if the gaming does work... ( You do not have to install Linux to run it on a Windows pc...it runs from the USB stick )

If the gaming does work.....  then ...

Why not get a spare HDD/SSD  and install  a suitable LInux O.S.   and see if the gaming will work OK on that as an alternative. (probably take less time than a windows re-install with all the other stuff)

If it works ok on the LINUX O.S. for a month ... then that would point to something windows updates is doing ....  ? ? ? 

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well it's a thought and worth a try. I have a few spare hdds handing around.....
I was also thinking of a possible psu issue. It's a 500w psu, so 'should' be fine to deliver the power needed. Anyone know how to test psus....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK.  So the games he's having issues with are games on Roblox, and minecraft, both web based games as far as I can see.

I deleted his install of chrome, and reinstalled it.  Also deleted the roblox client, and its associated folders, and allowed the system to reinstall.  Roblox appears to use a browser window to choose games, and then runs them in a client.

Also noted there is a KB fix for some freezing issues in Windows 10 v2004. Its KB4580364.  Tried to download this, but it wouldnt.....even tried manually from the update catalogue.  Will try downloading on my laptop and installed to a stick.

Anyhow, after all this noted Windows update had some updated drivers for the GPU, so let it install these as well.

Now it only seems to be certain games on roblox that cause the freezing issues, others are fine. Don't seem to be any differences in the graphics capabilities of the games that work and do not work.

I'm going to try the Linux approach, and try getting the KB to install...

Anyone any other ideas????

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penfold wrote:

Also noted there is a KB fix for some freezing issues in Windows 10 v2004. Its KB4580364.  Tried to download this, but it wouldnt.....even tried manually from the update catalogue.  Will try downloading on my laptop and installed to a stick.

I'm going to try the Linux approach, and try getting the KB to install...

@penfold 

I don't use Win10 but out of interest I Googled KB4580364 to see if others had had the same problem installing it, apparently they had.

I didn't read any of the results, but I spotted one saying that it came with a new bug.

https://bcfocus.com/windows-10-update-kb4580364-comes-with-a-new-bug/