Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC does not recognise VGA connected monitor

Rourkefamily
Grafter

PC does not recognise VGA connected monitor

Hi all,
I have just had to reinstall Windows 7. During the installation I had two monitores connected , one via an HDM1  via a card installed a couple of months ago and one VGA on the as built card with the Desktop.
Both worked perfect previously.
Now the VGA cabled screen is not recognisted. When I unplug it, I get a No Signal message. Plug it in again, and the screen goes to standby. When I go to select the dual screens on Control Panel, did not show t he VGA cabled screen.
Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: PC does not recognise VGA connected monitor

so you have 2 graphics cards , one onboard and 1 on a pcie slot ?
in windows , right click on screen resolution , it should show your monitor , click on detect , see what you get
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
You are correct. Two graphics card. The monitor I am trying to detect is in the original build of the desktop.
When I click Desktop nothing changes.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

have you tried unplugging the HDMI monitor and rebooting to see if it recognises the VGA one ?
if you've tried this go to control panel >devices>device manager> expand display adaptor and make sure both are listed and both are showing as enabled under device properties
baring a change to the bios configuration I'm not sure why one would not work unless your on-board VGA adaptor just died, is there a secondary output on the GFX card that you could use instead for the additional monitor either a VGA or a DVI output will often work with the adaptor in the GFX card box, depending on the card you installed
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
billnotben
Community Veteran

Isn't it usual that when you add a video card the inbuilt version is automatically disabled?
nanotm
Pro

would depend on the bios setting, the last time I checked one there was the option of disabled on board, or keeping it active but selecting something else as primary, but when you install an OS unless you disable the ability your personal setup options can get changed by the OS, of course if you want the ability to flash the bios from a windows based app disabling that option is problematic as well ....
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

yup most GFX cards will have more than one output for multi monitor setups  mine has 1DVI 2HDMI  , normally you would run 2 monitors off one card  not 2 cards ' as you say the bios normally disables the onboard one .
this is from MS help  Wink http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/976064
x47c
Grafter

This is true for on-board graphics with the Motherboard, but the OP appears to have two standalone graphics cards and is not using the true onboard/motherboard VGA output at all which is yes normally disabled when you add a graphics card....but from how I read it that is not the case in this setup - though it is unusual as indeed most GFX cards bar the rock bottom bargain basements one can run two monitors now.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
have you tried unplugging the HDMI monitor and rebooting to see if it recognises the VGA one ?

Thanks for the reply. I can get the VGA monitor to operate if I unplug the HDMI cable. Having completed start up, I plug back in it will not recognise the television connected via HDMI. If I leave the HMDI plugged in and power down and start up agsin, it will be only the HDMI television that will start up.
Before the reinstall of Windows 7, I used to be able to run both as a Primary and Secordary screen.
If it helps on the card added to the desk top as well as the HDMI there is a (I believe it is called) a VDI connector.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: rongtw
yup most GFX cards will have more than one output for multi monitor setups  mine has 1DVI 2HDMI  , normally you would run 2 monitors off one card  not 2 cards ' as you say the bios normally disables the onboard one .
this is from MS help  Wink http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/976064

Tried Windows Key and P and it does nothing. Guess that is because the desktop thinks there is only one monitor connected
nanotm
Pro

do you know how to open the bios and check or change settings?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

on your Added card can you not try to connect the two monitors , HDMI and the DVI ?
kmilburn
Grafter

Another thought, as you have two graphics cards present,  if they're not from the same family (NVidia, AMD, etc) you'll have to install both sets of drivers.  Even from the same family, you may to install the old drivers and the new drivers to get both cards working.  (e.g.  NVidias legacy driver, and the latest driver)
If you open the Device Manager, what appears in the 'Display Adapters' section.  That would give a hint to the card being present and their state of usability.
nanotm
Pro

it might be a good idea to get a photo of the back of the pc at this point so we are all on the same page as to what connections there are and what they are from, then someone can figure out how to fix the problem