Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC does not recognise UBS connections

Rourkefamily
Grafter

PC does not recognise UBS connections

Not on all but some!
PC will not recognize my Creative ZEN MP3 or my Canon camera. Any ideas?
19 REPLIES 19
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: PC does not recognise UBS connections

depends what operating system you are on, and did the camera come with set up disc?, even on XP some need a set up program.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I presume you mean USB  Wink
The following assumes you are running XP...
Unplug all USB devices (except keyboard and mouse!)
Go into device manager and remove all USB devices (they will be listed under Universal Serial Buses section)
Reboot the PC and it should recognise them as new hardware and reinstall the drivers.
Reboot the PC again (assuming windows does not do this after the last reboot)  then try connecting your USB devices again.
You may need to reinstall the USB drivers that came with the USB devices - you did install these first BEFORE connecting your USB devices for the first time.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Yes. I meant USB.  Embarrassed
Stupid question. Device manager accessed through Control Panel?
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Found it! Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I usually right click My Computer, select Properties and then Device Manager.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
I presume you mean USB Wink
The following assumes you are running XP...
Unplug all USB devices (except keyboard and mouse!)
Go into device manager and remove all USB devices (they will be listed under Universal Serial Buses section)
Reboot the PC and it should recognise them as new hardware and reinstall the drivers.
Reboot the PC again (assuming windows does not do this after the last reboot)  then try connecting your USB devices again.
You may need to reinstall the USB drivers that came with the USB devices - you did install these first BEFORE connecting your USB devices for the first time.

Done it and no different
I am trying my Creative Zen. Just downloaded the firmware. Try to run it and get you Player is not connected. Please connect.
get same message for the camera.
Tried different USB's as well.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

OK,
Try uninstalling any software related to the USB devices, reboot then follow the install process to the letter for each USB device. Often you first install the software then connect the USB device. Doing it the other way can result in the drivers or device not working properly.
Also what Windows version & service pack are you running?
samuria
Grafter

I dont know about Zen but Cannon needs the software installed and you have to use Cannon software to see the camera I know my son had the same problem with his camera. The Cannon software is a bit of a beast and installs all sorts of stuff
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Running XP with SP 2.
Windows Updates should all be there.
Interesting comment about the software.
On the Canon, all software is installed and when we plug camera in, get a No Camera message. Can uninstall and reinstall again,
On the Zen, I have just downloaded the Software and was starting the install process when I get a message to plug in MP3. When plugged in it is not recognised.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sounds like you have got a duff cable
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Are you connecting to those USB ports as fitted to the computer or, are you using a powered hub? As I've commented before in these forums, I've had problems in the past using hub(s). Got serious slow down of printers, scanners etc. and some peripherals not recognised at all. Fitted PCI cards instead and everything was fine.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Denzil
Grafter

Another silly question. Which USB ports are you using on the PC? If it is a front panel port, try one on the back. I have seen more than one new PC where the front panel ports weren't plugged in to the motherboard.
samuria
Grafter

have they ever worked? have you checked the bios as they may be disabled in there
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Sounds like you have got a duff cable

Tried about four different cables