Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC/CPU running hot?

God
Grafter

PC/CPU running hot?

Hi Folks
I recently dropped a Core 2 Quad 6600 in to my mobo and I am concerned it might be running a little hot. Everest shows the individual core temps running at anything from 46 through to 54, although the ‘CPU’ temp (as opposed to the Cores) seems to be around 38. It just seems a bit higher than the Duo 6550 I had in there before.
Mobo is running at 37 and the GPU 53 (passive cooling) and drives 25, 30 and 31.
Does this sound ok or should I be investigating?
Cheers
14 REPLIES 14
samuria
Grafter

Re: PC/CPU running hot?

I have the same cpu  pc wizard says mainboard temp 31 cpu 30
The first thing I did when I got mine was wack a big fan in the rear and that dropped the temp of everything 7 degrees. So I have a front fan side case fan cpu fan and a big rear fan
some results from web search
Mobo: 42 degrees C
CPU: 42 degrees C
A good Page on temps
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/221745-11-core-quad-temperature-guide
God
Grafter

It seems I am somewhere between cool and safe! TBH wit 4 case fans I would have been hoping to be nearer cool. But I do have 3 hard drives which is probably raising the internal temp as well.
I ran PC Wizard 2008 to try and make a comparison to Everest but it crashed as soon as it started, it is meant to be Vista compatible but no luck for me.
Anyway, thanks for the help Sam.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I don't know if it's related but I had the same issue (same chip actually) - I'm using an abit IP35-Pro and the previous BIOS had an error that reported the cpu temp about 20 degrees above what it actually was (the abit software and coretemp were showing the differences). Fortunately this was a known error and updating the bios sorted it. Might be worth checking if there's a new one out for your motherboard?
Just a thought, hope it helps,
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I didn't have a problem with the BIOS and my Q6600 was actually running at near 70 all the time, it was only when I opened the case and noticed one of the clips for the heatsink had come off that I was able to fix it. Which TBH isn't the easiest thing, due to the size of the heatsink I have to take the mobo out of the case completely in order to clip it on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
God
Grafter

@Orbrey
My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R I did flash the latest bios before installing the CPU. I don't know of any reporting errors, but Everest is the only utility I have outside the bios to check temps, PC wizard isn't working for me.
@Chris
I double checked the clips after installation and again for the paranoia rating.:o  I may well do it again but I think it is ok, also I am way below 70 which makes me think that isn't the issue.
Is it possible to put too much "Arctic Silver 5" on the chip and cause a problem?  Could I have overdosed it?
Also.... AS say that over the first 200 hours use the temp could drop by 5 degrees.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes you can put too much AS on.
have you tried this http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
God
Grafter

Hi Jim
Thanks for that I have tried it and it gives the same readings as Everest.
Under Prime 95 Torture test the cores seem to top out at 59 or 60. I suppose I could just leave well alone, but  I am tempted to clean the CPU top and put new thermal paste on to see if I can lower the temp a bit.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If it tops out at 60 I would leave it alone
God
Grafter

Aye, I wonder if a Freezer 7 Pro or similar would bring it down much. I am just using the bog standard CPU cooler.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I currently have a Scythe Mine rev B in my case, it's a monster. It pretty much touches the opposite side of the case to the mobo and can't be fitted with the mobo in the case.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have the same cooler as Chris and an extremely well ventilated case
With a core2 duo E6750 at 2667MHz core temperature tops out at 49 deg C using Core Temp and a fan speed of about 1250 rpm
Mobo is showing 32 deg C and hard drive at 26 deg C
Idle core temperatures are 28/31 deg C (note that CPU speed drops to 2000 MHz on idle)
samuria
Grafter

Just checked mine using Everest and the results are
mb 29
cpu 30
core 1 36
core 2 33
core 3 36
core 4 36
gpu    42
hd 1  22
hd2    28
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

i got a 2.8 celeronD running at 2.8GHz and the temperature is nearly always at 50-55 degrees. I'm assuming that isn't healthy?
It's got the same heatsink on as it came with but I did put a bot more thermal paste in as the CPU would stick to the heatsink when you removed it and would quite literally be pulled out of the CPU socket. It had some sticky substance on it so I decided to scrape that off and thermal paste it instead.
So far (touch wood) its been ok. Any comments?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
techguy
Grafter

FYI
http://processorfinder.intel.com/ indicates the maximum tested temperature that the CPU will stand (though of course it should be lower than this)
If the temp is exceeded the clock speed will be lowered to reduce heat production in an effort to protect the CPU.