Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Build

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: PC Build

@30FTTC06 wrote:

So It's bootup time more than brunt vs longevity. If we call it a good 10 minutes before you can touch the old pc at present, that will give a good indication of what we was using Wink

10 minutes is way too slow, even for a computer that is 10 years old.  And if you took the same approach 10 years ago that you are taking now then it is truly dreadful.  So I infer that your old computer must be faulty.

If you want a computer to run until it drops without anything much in the way of servicing then your probably shouldn't be looking to purchase a computer that will last 10 years.  Why not pay half the price and change the computer after 5 years?    

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReedRichards has a point there, the complete cost of my build was under £500 per machine, if I get 5 years out of these, which I hope to, then the cost of ownership is under £2 p.w. and that’s a bargain considering what for me is a reasonable spec and I have machines that do what I want in a timely manner.

@30FTTC06 - Can I ask what the intended use is for the machine?

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

@ReedRichards It's a "Dell Vostro 200 (Core Duo E2160 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD" With Vista, And no I didn't buy it.

@Anonymous yeah sure, it's mainly for accounting - just needs to boot fast and be ready to go right away.

I think that pc will be fine for what it will be needed for, and we get a gfx card to save for an upgrade because there is no need for it to stay in the machine generating heat and dust, for that matter neither does the HDD. Another upto date ish spare.

We bought 2 machines 6 years ago and (with very heavy use) thus far it's only gfx cards that have failed, I hope to get a few more years from them yet. In the back of my mind I am expecting complete failure at some point of the above machines, another reason to keep parts in hand.

If we take away the cost of the pc minus the gfx card and HDD that gets us to a round figure of £600

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Microsoft broke almost every Vista computer I have seen mid way through 2016.  One core of the processor becomes consumed with a vain attempt to find Windows updates.  Symptoms are:

Windows update history shows no routine updates since mid 2016.  Microsoft Security Essentials, if installed, will still update.

If you open Task Manager and show processes from all users then you will find that process svchost rises to and holds at 50% usage (on a dual core processor).  This happens as long as you have an internet connection (and continues if that connection is subsequently terminated).

This can be fixed, although the fix can be slow to install.  The simplest workaround is to turn-off Windows automatic updates.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since it's for accounts then what you have will more than meet the requirements and with on-board graphics that are more than adequate for accounts, you could in theory see your 10 years use. With the caveat of maybe fans for the cooler and PSU.

30FTTC06
Pro

I think the worry was more on updates, but thanks for the info.

This springs to mind..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

30FTTC06
Pro

@Anonymous I do hope the cooling is of better quality than stock, looking at the pictures of the case it seems they are using 3XS cooling for the cpu. Fingers crossed.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@ReedRichards It wasn't just Vista, Windows 7 suffered the same fate Sad
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@Browni, yes, but less frequently.  Maybe 1 in 4 of the Windows 7 machines I see are in this state but around 4 in 4 of the Vista machines are affected.  I must have looked at 10 or more such Vista computers since it happened.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The cynical amongst us might think it was deliberate in order to force migration to newer versions. It's being done with the new Intel and AMD processors so ...

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Anonymous - if they start doing that to my W7 machine, MS will be evacuated, and I'll install Linux. OK, I.ll have abit to learn but...

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1 - You'll get a distro from here and Amazon and others have a great selection of books on Linux  Wink

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Cheers, @Anonymous - added to links - and I know about the books. Wink

John
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

The cynical amongst us might think it was deliberate in order to force migration to newer versions.

Then it has only succeeded insofar as it has with the OP here, causing them to abandon their older machine in favour of buying a new one.  Nobody has called me because they realise they have this problem; they sometimes realise their computer is running more slowly but mostly not.  The deliberate attempt to force migration is the discontinuation of support, which officially happened four days ago for Vista. 

30FTTC06
Pro

Ended up in this configuration and it's pretty snappy for what is required.

LN67962 49.99 Carbide 88R
LN75747 79.99 SSD 240GB
LN65546 35.99 PSU
LN73766 52.99 H110-A/M.2
LN76879 194.99 I5 7500
LN66036 89.99 Win10 Pendrive

LN66141 67.99 8GB Vegeance LPX 13-15-15-28

@Anonymous

The 3XS cpu fan is a (Noisy) disappointment, I expected better - it seems all about the advertising and less about quality!