Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PATA hard drive ( Laptop )

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 64

PATA hard drive ( Laptop )

I have a PATA hard drive, that has Linux Mint 18 , on it  , ( as far as I can remember... ).  I have a requirement to erase/format this hdd, to use as an external drive for my Music videos, as the 64GB sandisk cruser blade is almost full, and runs very hot when playing the music vids.  So I would like to transfer the vids to the PATA drive and use it in an external caddy.

Problem is... I get a message saying the "USB device is not recognised", when this hard drive is connected to THIS laptop...( my normal daily use laptop ).... I have just dug out my 10" Hannspree mini laptop, and plugged in the external drive.... (With the PATA Drive installed )... It reported that it was "Installing device driver"... and when finished, actually identified the PATA hard drive as a Samsung 160GB drive successfully installed.

However.... when I investigate, i.e. click on "Computer".. to see what drives are available... this PATA drive is not showing.  therefore I cannot Erase/Format it...

Any help to do this would be appreciated.

UPDATE     UPDATE   UPDATE....

Just done a "re-boot" and chose the Samsung drive, on the boot up options... and it has booted up into Linux Mint 18.1

so... Can I now "format" this drive .... whilst it is in Linux mode ?  so that I can then use it as a General file storage device..  and Do I have to install windows on it first ?

001_800x600.JPG002_800x600.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: PATA hard drive ( Laptop )

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@Menace65  Thanks for the linky..... before I go into that... seems a bit "deep" for me at the moment.... I just remembered, that I have Mint 18.2 on a "live USB Stick"..... so I have booted up the small 10 inch laptop with that as the O.S... and have plugged in the USB Caddy and it shows  the 160GB hard drive  as 159GB Volume

and so.... I have found "Control Centre"... and then under the "hardware" title   >   Discs >  and a menu list giving me the option to "Format" it... so... I think that is what I will do.

Thanks.... Your linky will be useful if others "search" for this problem...

shutter
Community Veteran

Further update...  on how to get the Hard Drive recognised...

Having Formatted the drive, using the Linux Live USB stick.... it did not show, when a re-boot was done to bring the laptop back to running Windows 7 Pro.

Doing a "google"  for "how to use an external HDD for storage, "  brought up this page.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/20-hard-drives-storage/1227647-how-initialize-format-new-disk-use-wi...

So I followed the instructions for "Diskpart"... 

after "exit".... I unplugged the caddy/hdd and plugged it in again..  but still not showing... so I plugged it into THIS laptop. (main user) and it showed as Drive E:   so I then Formatted it,  using the Quick Format, and restore default .

Now I am going to see if I can transfer my music videos from the 64GB usb stick.

UPDATE  UPDATE  ! ! !>..

Well, it showed up on THIS laptop as Dirve E:    But on the 10" laptop, where I did all the work on it, it still did not show,.... even after re-boot of the 10" laptop...  so .. I found "Disk Management".. and it showed the 149.05 hdd  formatted as NTFS   and  Healthy (Primary Partition)...

Not sure what to do, I clicked on "Action" at the top menu... and then selected the drive in the lower section, then selected "All Tasks" from the ACTION drop down menu.   I then selected Change the drive letter and paths... so I   Clicked on"Add"  and selected M as the drive letter (for Music! )...  clicked OK... removed the connection from the usb... re connected... and sure enough.. it shows up as Local Disc (M:)  and the normal "open folder to view files" popup appeared... so.. NOW   ... I will try to copy across the music folders ! ! ..

shutter
Community Veteran

Success ! ...

Menace65
Aspiring Pro

LOL what a big Ego, My  link pointed you in the right direction, and you thanked yourself, pffft

shutter
Community Veteran

@Menace65. actually,  I did say.... "Thank you for the linky"...   

I did not " thank myself" ... what I did, was to click.... "This fixed my problem"...to show that the problem was solved, to all and sundry who cared to read the thread....  if it shows that I thanked myself, that is the system... not a "personal ego trip" as you sublimely suggested  !  Cheesy

Menace65
Aspiring Pro

Fair Enough mate, just fedup waiting for my fibre to be connected, just in bitching mood at the minute.

Have a great weekend.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Menace65  Hope it gets done real soon.... Have a good weekend in the meantime . Wink