Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P Fines

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: P2P Fines

Have a read of the Performing Rights Society website.  It might cover it.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

That site simply says we are very greedy
They want their pound of flesh from just about everyone - schools, voluntary, charities, churches - doesn't appear to matter much.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Nobody seems to have mentioned the artists in this discussion.  If their work is pirated then they get no royalties.  Whilst this may not be a major factor to the likes of Madonna, george Michael etc it is certainly very important to the lesser known artists that may be struggling to make a living.
VileReynard
Hero

Try http://www.we7.com/ if you want to support struggling artists - and a few wealthy ones too.
This won't cost you anything.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Buy the progs legally and the artists are supported Smiley
hulls
Grafter

On a slightly different point.  I belong to a Salvation Army Songster Brigade (choir).  I maintain the website for it, and wanted to use some background music from one of our own CDs.  According to the MCPS I would need to obtain a licence (even if I'm only playing a few seconds of a track)  This is our own recording of songs to which the Salvation Army holds the copyright, and which we are legally permitted to perform live! Crazy
John
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Try http://www.we7.com/ if you want to support struggling artists - and a few wealthy ones too.
This won't cost you anything.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Internet Radio on demand complete with audio advertising.
VileReynard
Hero

I know there's a lot of adverts - but it's not only streamed, some is downloadable.
They have a strange setup whereby they allow you to have a limited download (without adverts) a month after you've downloaded
the same thing (with adverts).
Because they put adverts at the beginning of each track, it's actually very easy to edit them out!
The only way unsigned bands will get wider distribution is via publicity, whether it's P2P, streaming or free internet downloads.
If you want Internet Television (as well as radio) try http://wwitv.com/portal.htm  Grin

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

one point that is worth a mention, for many years CDs & DVDs  cost more in the UK than they did in the USA or Europe so I think the record distributors would have got more sympathy if they had treated us equally in terms of cost !
I also understand that one firm used some sort of digital rights system that installed its self on users computers and caused all sorts of problems !
Yes we should pay for software,music etc BUT at a fair price !!
We are born into history and history is born into us.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

If you shop around on the internet you can generally get as good a deal here.  I use a site http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/
They come up with prices for up to about 20 UK retailers.  It's amasing the difference between cheapest and dearest.
You are right about a firm putting a lock into their products.  It was Sony but they were ordered by a court to remove it.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: pjmarsh
Just to correct you slightly there itsme.  With CD's the industry is giving you permission to play it in private.  You will need additional permission to play much of it anywhere public such as in a show, or a video that you make, or anything like that.

I'm just wondering...
How soon before it's made illegal to listen to/watch any music/DVD, etc you haven't pruchased? I'm thinking about a passenger in your car, for example. He/she hasn't paid for the CD so, technically, would the driver be breaking a copyright rule?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Mav
I'm just wondering...
How soon before it's made illegal to listen to/watch any music/DVD, etc you haven't pruchased? I'm thinking about a passenger in your car, for example. He/she hasn't paid for the CD so, technically, would the driver be breaking a copyright rule?

No, because it's being used for private viewing.  It's the same as inviting someone into your home to watch a DVD.
Moderators note by James_G : Fixed quote tags Wink
VileReynard
Hero

Presumably, a taxi driver who plays music which could be overheard by a passenger needs a special licence?

Santiago
Grafter

Yeah like a charity shop needs a licence to play the radio for their customers. What a crock of [Censored]
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: axisofevil
Presumably, a taxi driver who plays music which could be overheard by a passenger needs a special licence?

If the cabbie advertises it as part of his service he would have to comply with the rules of the Performing Rights Soc.  If he simply has the radio switched on for his own entertainment, no.