Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P.A.Y.G. Mobile WIFI Dongle query

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

P.A.Y.G. Mobile WIFI Dongle query

I`m looking for a PAYG mobile Dongle.... which does not have a preset amount added, when I buy the dongle.... I am assuming that the preset amount is time limited to 1 month from date of issue... so if I don`t use it at all, then I lose £10..
T-mobile do a "daily rate" of £2 which I would need to pay for in a shop, prior to use, I presume..... same as topping up my mobile phone... BUT to purchase the dongle at £19.99 also mandatory £10 "extra" is included...
Does anyone know of a dongle that does not have the "mandatory" " EXTRA" ?
39 REPLIES 39
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: P.A.Y.G. Mobile WIFI Dongle query

I bought one from 02 about a year ago, Just the dongle, No credit on It, Its an MF100, I believe I could get It unlocked now.
Linky, Looks like newer models are out!
http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/o2mobilebroadband/tab/Pay_and_Go
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you want to look at the coverage, I use O2 on my phone, but in some parts of the country it is flaky  I have a 3 - 3g dongle which as you say is £10 for10G for one month, but it doent die, The Virgin one if not used dies
if you have the time read this about the next generation http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2011/03/4g_auction.html
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm..... The O2 dongle is just over £20 and you can topup daily for £2.04 for 200mb.... for 24hours... which is a funny amount...  T-mobile is £19.99 plus £10  and then you can top up £2.00 per day...
SO, Pierre, how does the "Three" 3G dongle work... top up (say) £10 and it stays on until you use it all, (maybe in 2 or 3 months ?)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Everything's a funny amount now shutter with the VAT Increase, I believe what Pierre_Pierre Is saying that with 3 your credit wont be lost, Also sounds like a better deal than 02 Usage wise.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no the payment lasts a month, but with virgin you loose the phone number and have to get another sim  might be wrong on the 3 Gb  not topped up mine since last year
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Does that mean my 02 Mobile broadband number will be lost?, Hardly used It, Here's a snip from 3 site.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the 3 site doesnt reflect what I did last year, I will go into the shop tomorrow and check
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just checked SWMBO netbook we used it last October, was on line 53 hours and used about 3 Gb and i defininetly only paid £10 all in one week in the wilds near Pontop Pike
shutter
Community Veteran

YAy!.... the Three dongle seems to be the good value one.... 500 mb for £2 after the 1gb has been used up on the initial purchase price of £20.99... and you can go into a shop with the "top up" sign and pay for it..... whereas O2 want you to go online and use your debit card to top up.... sounds a bit risky... and how do you top up "online" when your allowance has run out? ?? 
so I am ordering the Three dongle ...
thanks for the pointers guys... as ever.. this forum is great for sorting things...  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the 3 dongle keeps some on it that you can use to top up on line when your allowance runs out, plus you get free skype phone, hold on till I go into shop and find out the  costs tomorrow
shutter
Community Veteran

Have ordered it, and confirmed, it is due to arrive on Friday by post.!..
Steve
Seasoned Pro

And 02 one takes you to a landing page where you can top-up with your card, I have just topped mine up £2.04 as to keep my number active on mine, Thanks PP for the reminder.
Simon_M
Grafter

Note that the Three £2 top-up is only available on-line. Not a problem though, because you can still connect & top-up even if you have no credit.
It's a generous 'day' too. It expires at midnight on the day after you buy it, so bought early in the morning (or very late at night - after midnight) can get you 40+ hours rather than 24.
I need to use mine in one & two day bursts every now & then. So long as I don't do it more than 5 times a month, it's as cheap or cheaper than a £10 top-up & gives me more data, so I was very pleased when they introduced the 'daily' option.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm,,.... that`s interesting, because it says on the site.......

Pay As You Go.
Our Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband dongle is preloaded with data and ready to use. You can select from 1GB, 3GB or 12GB and you only need to top up if you run out. It's easy to top up in My3 - you can pay by credit or debit card, or a voucher from your  local 3Store .

local 3 store is underlined linky.... so I went there. and it lists one store about 7 miles away from me... plus one in each of several nearby towns.... I was expecting the top up to be via the local shop (as in mobile phone top up), so the online choice seems to be favourite, especially if I am miles from any where in deepest Wales !...