Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheating PC

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Overheating PC

My PC has been running a little slower of late and occasionally locked up altogether.
On Sunday morning I unplugged everything and took the box onto the kitchen table, opened it up, unplugged and detached the processor heatsink and fan.
Between the fan and heatsink was a good quality Axminster fluff carpet completely preventing airflow from the fan across the heatsink vanes.
Having removed the offending carpet and given the heatsink a good brush and blow I reassembled the unit with a fresh layer of silver heatsink compound.
Now the processor is running 30 degrees cooler and so much happier.
The moral of this story is it may be a pain of a job but it's well worth doing to keep your processor happy. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Overheating PC

Alternatively buy a good case with an inlet dust filter or fit one yourself
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That sounds too much like an extraction of money from my wallet, not an easy task.
However it's worthy of consideration when I replace my box Smiley
Thanks Jim.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
scootie
Grafter

i hover my axeminster bout evey month due to having dogs.
Not once replaced the thermal paste and my runs at same temp still.
i use one of those camera sensor brushes with the air blower on to dust off the fans and heat sink
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=57&subid=795
Fan filters - cheap and effective Smiley (That was the first google link btw, you could probably find cheaper).
I should probably also add, you only really need these on the fans that are blowing in to the PC.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Can you tell me how you check the processor speed Strat?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As I build my computers I always get a case with excellent cooling and then fit a low noise high efficiency CPU cooler.
Just done a check idle CPU core temperatures about 35 deg C full load prime 95 test - see picture
scootie
Grafter

thats mine with enough of my dogs fur cloging the fans up at mo to make a woolie jumper
standard dell insprion case with enough holes an slots to post a letter through never mind dust
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Oldjim
As I build my computers I always get a case with excellent cooling and then fit a low noise high efficiency CPU cooler.
Just done a check idle CPU core temperatures about 35 deg C full load prime 95 test - see picture

Jim, where do you access the core temp screen from?  Also where are you reading the figures you quote?  Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Two programs Coretemp (where the picture was from) or Speedfan
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks Jim.  Going out later but will have a look when I get back.  Will they also explain your temp readings?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not sure what you mean by explain - they are both monitoring programs only although Speedfan monitors rather more and allows some fiddling with fan speeds and overclocking the CPU.
If you want a more detailed explanation of what is happening just ask the questions and I will try to assist
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Sorry Jim for not explaining myself.  In your post you said, 'Just done a check idle CPU core temperatures about 35 deg C full load prime 95 test - see picture'
What I'm asking is where are these figures in the chart?  Sorry if it's an obvious question.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

They aren't - here are the idle ones - the screen dump only shows the current temperatures and CPU loading
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Strat
That sounds too much like an extraction of money from my wallet, not an easy task.

Lol, glad I'm not the only scrooge around here. I've got into an unhealthy habit of freecycling all of my computer parts.. infact it got so bad I had to re-freecycle 10 P3s that were clogging up the cupboard upstairs.
I'm very tempted though to buy a quiet PSU and quiet CPU fan though.. I think that would be what... the 1st purchase in 3 years? lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!