cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook out of office assistant

SolidSilver

Outlook out of office assistant

I am trying to set up out of office while I am on holiday, however, I am unable to find this in the tools menu.  I have looked at Microsoft support pages and they say that I need an exchange server email account to make out of office work.  I have no idea what this means - can anyone help? Undecided
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Outlook out of office assistant

Basically out of office only works if you tell the server providing the emails.
With normal pop3 email Outlook doesn't know if you have received anything until you download it.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It means you can't do it.
This is an option for use generally in the corporate environment where your email is stored on a server running Microsoft Exchange software usually run by the company internally.
Some service providers do offer email accounts hosted on Exchange Server as a premium email service.
RobDickson
Grafter

I've never tried it myself, but why not set a message rule in Outlook to reply to e-mails where you are on the To: list. You can restrict sending e-mails to those people in your address book, so that you don't reply to spammers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That only works if you leave the computer on and Outlook running - not a good idea if you are going on holiday  Grin
RobDickson
Grafter

True, but SolidSilver was asking how to set-up MS Outlook, so I assumed he was going to leave his PC on all the time.
Most webhosts will offer the option of a server-based out-of-office reply, but I don't know whether PlusNet offers this option. I've never tried a server-based out-of-office reply, because it won't be linked into my address book, so would reply to spammers.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

PlusNet don't have server side out of office on their email accounts.
DavidButler
Dabbler

A work round that you could look at is to set up a google mail account. You can then set up google mail to pick up your plus net pop email and set up an auto response email in google mail.
Bit of a hassle but would work.
RobDickson
Grafter

Good idea. I've found having a Gmail account very useful for things like this.
samuria
Grafter

Its not a good idea to tell everyone you are going away criminals will find it very helpful so they can come to your house and rob you. As a Home Watch coordinator of 15 years we advise people not to do this.