cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express wants to compress my e-mails

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Outlook Express wants to compress my e-mails

Just a minor irritant, but when I close Outlook Express, it keeps saying it could make my e-mails take up less space. Is this a standard Oulook Express thing, or does it mean I am running out of space on my pc?
Thanks in advance
9 REPLIES 9
johpal
Grafter

Re: Outlook Express wants to compress my e-mails

This is just Microsoft's idea of being helpful. I receive this message every so often too, and my hard disk is only 35% full. It doesn't seem to slow down the system if you do use it, but neither does it appear to create much space.
Not applicable

This is perfectly normal for OE. You can change the frequency of compaction by going to Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance. There should be a tick box and beside it a number box which you can change by clicking the arrows. This description is for Windows Mail but it will be very similar for OE.
firefly2
Grafter

oh, thankyou for info poppy....i did it once and they seemed to go all over the place. i just wondered where they went in the process.  Smiley
Appoloin
Dabbler

Compacting means Outlook wants to remove the deleted emails from its database. 
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks to all. I'm relieved there isn't a major problem hiding behind this.
As for OE wanting to get rid of deleted files from its database, one of the first things I did was to empty the OE deleted messages tray - or is there somewhere else it holds these messages?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes - the Outlook Express system is to hold the messages in a sort of database and deleting them from the deleted items box doesn't reduce the size of the database i.e. the file where they are stored.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Not only that but there is an index file, if you open it with a text program you will find yet another copy of all the e-mails you have deleted, compacting removes this copy,
Can any one solve my problem with OE, I have two laptops, both on XPV2  I use Imap on Thunderbird to get rid of rubbish before downloading with OE.  on one laptop no problem.  on the other OE insists that some of my file attachments are dangerous and immediately destroys them  not all though, in the last few days, two WMV files and some gifs  cant see any difference in the set ups.  Angry Sad Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Strange Jim, I unticked the box mentioned and yes could access the attachments that it said had been removed, checked the other laptop (this one) and the box was also tcked, but the offending e-mails came through unscathed  - B!"$£"£$% Microsoft, atleast Thunderbird tells you it thinks they are dodgy what do you want to do  Undecided Crazy