cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express failure

PeterJH

Outlook Express failure

Dear All
I have been using Outlook Express to receive emails from the internet service provider I used to use, before changing (with great satisfaction) to Plusnet.  Although I no longer have a Onetel account, I still have a onetel email address.  I have been able to use it online via the Onetel website or via Outlook Express.  But now only via the onetel website.
When I try to use Outlook Express to download my emails I receiev a failure message which reads:
Outlook Express
Some errors have occurred ...
and the details are ...
The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.onetel.com', Server: 'mail.onetel.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 212.67.121.121 (212.67.121.121:110), connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90.
I do not understand this message.  Is it something to do with the way my computer is set up?  Advice would be welcome.
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Outlook Express failure

Could it be, that, your onetel email account is no longer valid.... do you still have an account, that is current, with onetel?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

First try unticking Use SSL and if that doesn't help you could try using mail.onetel.net or pop.onetel.net or mail.onetel.net.uk or pop.onetel.net.uk
PeterJH

Quote from: shutter
Could it be, that, your onetel email account is no longer valid.... do you still have an account, that is current, with onetel?

Sorry, I should have explained to Shutter and to Old Jim that I am still able to download messages from onetel.net via their webmail link, and there are a dozen e-mails that I have been unable to access using Outlook Express, even though I can read them via webmail.  It was only five days ago that Outlook Express started displaying the message I described when I instructed "Receive All".  Therefore, as far as I can tell, the account validity is not in question.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.
PeterJH

Quote from: Oldjim
First try unticking Use SSL and if that doesn't help you could try using mail.onetel.net or pop.onetel.net or mail.onetel.net.uk or pop.onetel.net.uk

Many thanks for this suggestion.  It took me a while to find anything about SSL.  I have not found a box where it can be unticked, but am I right in thinking that if I were to find such a box ticked, I would also see a locked padlock icon at the bottom of the working page in Outlook Express, because there isn't one of those?  Further advice would be most welcome.
You suggest using mail.onetel.net or pop.onetel.net or mail.onetel.net.uk or pop.onetel.net.uk .  I presume that is what I am using when I access my email via the onetel website, and that does work.  It just doesn't allow me to store my messages using Outlook Express.  Again further advice would be welcome.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you running an anti-virus program that scans mail? If so it's worth trying with email scanning disabled.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The suggestion was to try using those servers in Outlook Express.
regarding SSL this tells you how to disable it http://help.webmaillogin.com/setup/help_outlook_ssl.html
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

No doubt OneTel, in common with many other ISP-based email systems, will have one set of POP/SMTP login parameters for use when on their network and another (nearly always more restrictive) when connecting from elsewhere.
I'd contact OneTel and ask them for specifics, starting maybe with their online help.
PeterJH

To all who have made excellent suggestions many thanks for your patience and ideas.  The problem is now solved.
All I had to do was to develop a cardiac arrhythmia, go into hospital to get it sorted, return home and the problem with e-mails had gone as well as the arrhythmia!  No pills, no cardio-version, easy!
You see the real secret was to log off and re-boot after a long delay.  24 hours as an in-patient was obviously sufficient!  I had of course tried re-booting but perhaps too rapidly.  So there is something in common between a computer re-boot and a cardiac re-boot, except that I left the medics to deal with the latter!
Now I can receive my mail on Outlook Express as easily as via the website.  The onetel address is important to me to receive any information from unknown web sources.  That way I avoid ever blocking my other email addresses.
Again, many thanks, but if you want to copy me, don't try my solution at home ...