cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express and unsafe attachments

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Outlook Express and unsafe attachments

My wife has sent me an e-mail with a couple of photos as attachments. They have been sent as jpg files. OE on my pc has decided the attachments are unsafe so has "removed access" to them. One of the attachments is still visible in the list of attachments, although OE has added the extension ".orig" to the attachment file name. The other file has disappeared completely from the list of attachments. Strangely, I can still see both of the photos on the bottom of the e-mail, so they must be there in some form.
I can save the one attachment that remains, and get rid of the added ".orig" extension at the same time. My question is "how can I recover both attachments, and preferably without any added extensions?
Thanks in advance
Grumpyxch
2 REPLIES 2
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Outlook Express and unsafe attachments

Try Tools - Options - Security tab, then untick, "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". That should stop it happening again, but I'm not sure if it will apply it retrospectively. Hopefully you have antivirus software, so it is best to let that decide what attachments actually have a virus.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Outlook Express and unsafe attachments

Thanks very much. That did the trick, and it did do it retrospectively.
Regards