cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express 6 and the world's worst error message.

Rikaitch
Grafter

Outlook Express 6 and the world's worst error message.

A customer of mine has a nice non descript error message when she's trying to send emails. The exact error message is as follows.
The message could not be sent
An error has occurred
I have checked around various sources, but can find no definitive answer. Anyone got any ideas at PN?
4 REPLIES 4
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Outlook Express 6 and the world's worst error message.

- Make sure the name box for the default mailbox isn't blank
- Outbox.dbx may be corrupt
- Wab32.dll may be damaged
That's the reasons I can find. To fix the dbx file:
Search the system for "Outbox.dbx". Once found, rename the file to "Outbox.old" then try send the message.
Disclaimer: All this was found via Google, so I can't vouch for how well it will work. It was Microsoft KB articles though, so you can have a search there for them. Smiley
samuria
Grafter

A super Google search for the error message comes back with
Outlook
Microsoft
as the cause.
Is there no message in the pane as normally you can get some error messages there but often you dont see the pane
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Rikaitch
The exact error message is as follows.
The message could not be sent
An error has occurred

I've seen this a number of times with Outlook Express (seems to happen for no particular reason).
In the past I've found that "saving" the message (to make sure the content is retained) and then closing it, is usually sufficient to get it in the outbox folder, and it does leave with the rest, or sometimes requires a separate re-open and send,  or a manual move to the outbox folder, or both, but it *does* go eventually Smiley
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I usually have a glance in the event log to see if there are any further clues there.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine