Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook App for Android

caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Outlook App for Android

I've been using the Outlook app with my Samsung S8 for almost two years without any problems. Over the last week, I've had to reinstall it daily.

Symptoms are, I check emails in the morning and none of my folders are showing at all, not even the inbox. My account (IMAP) is still there in the settings, but cannot see any emails at all , not even previously downloaded emails. I clear the cache and this makes no difference. If I clear the data and re-enter my login details for Plusnet, it says they are incorrect - I've checked over and over to make sure they are correct. I go through the same process again, maybe even another twice and eventually, it decides my details are correct and all my emails show again.

I've tried reinstalling, rather than just clearing data and have the same problem, login details not recognised until I type them in several times.

Everything works fine for the rest of the day, I get up in the morning, check emails again and the same thing, everything is missing and I have to go through the above process.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's driving me batty doing this every day.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
TieKnot
Dabbler

Re: Outlook App for Android

Hi Caryn,

You are not alone!  Something similar is happening with me too.  Sad  If I find a way round it, I'll share etc.

Best wishes,

David

TieKnot
Dabbler

I think the issues might be connected with: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/troubleshoot/client-connectivity/insecure-connection-secur....  Think it needs a new SSL certificate by Plusnet or better functionality in Outlook for Android.  I think I might just go for another email client. 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@TieKnot wrote:

I think I might just go for another email client. 

I've tried several which I weren't really happy with, until I settled on Aqua Mail.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
TieKnot
Dabbler

The GMail for Android app worked like a dream -2 mins to set up.  I can once again read emails to my private email address with my Plusnet hosted domain - like I have been able for some years to do with Outlook (until the last few days :-() 

(I would still prefer it if Outlook worked liked it used to - or gave sufficient controls like the W10/O365 clients - that allow users to configure personalised [Plusnet-hosted] email domains)

caryn
Rising Star

@TieKnot 

Thanks for the info.

I don't know a lot about other email apps, I'm not adverse to trying something new, but I use Outlook on my desktop and have all my mail folders,calendar and contact stuff set up the way I like it and don't want to use anything else for that. So question is, if I pick up an email on my desktop through outlook first, is there a way for me to then see the same email through a different email app on my phone? That might be an obvious question, but I really don'y know enough about this myself.

Really appreciate your help, thanks.

caryn
Rising Star

@TieKnot 

Scratch my previous post, I've answered the question myself. I downloaded the Samsung mail app and can see all my previously downloaded emails, folders etc. Guess it must just be the Outlook app no working then.

Thanks all for your help anyways.

TieKnot
Dabbler

Hi again Caryn,

It sounds like we use Microsoft products in similar ways. I have a personal hotmail account that I use with Outlook for Web, the Windows 10 Outlook Client, and the Android Outlook client. All these clients still work well. I have a work Microsoft 365 account that I use in a similar way. Even though I am on a staycation I have no reason to think this will not work either. These are both mainstream Microsoft account products - so I would expect them to work.

For the Outlook for Android use case that doesn't work, Plusnet Webmail still works, so does the Windows 10 Outlook client - which is set to exchange email with the Plusnet IMAP and RELAY servers for incoming and outgoing mail.

I really think of my Windows 10 Laptop and Outlook as my personal email server - where I do the obsessive filing. (I put a lot of stuff into offline folders for archival purposes).

I hope that context helps. Now I can answer your question. 🙂

Providing your 'new' Android email app and the Desktop Outlook and any other device are all set to exchange email with the Plusnet IMAP and RELAY servers for incoming and outgoing mail you should be able to do what you want - providing you haven't moved it to an offline folder. Also don't use Plusnet POP3 as the incoming mail server on your desktop Outlook client as it will download all incoming mail from Plusnet to your laptop and you won't be able to view them on the phone.

Hope that helps.

David

TieKnot
Dabbler

No worries. I wrote a reply unaware of your 'scratch' instruction. 🙂
David_Haigh
Grafter

HI Gents,

Have exactly the same problem of missing emails, on two Samsung devices. Using Samsung App! So I am currently checking all devices making sure not POP.

So thanks for helping with my sanity! A bit.

Regards.

David