cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orange light on ethernet connection

dgreen007
Grafter

Orange light on ethernet connection

For some strange reason the light on the back of my newish PC is orange instead of green.
I have experienced unusual happenings since I bought it but nothing terrible just the ocassional message saying offline and I have to click ok to reconnect.
I know this shouldnt be happening and I've ignored it up till now but I would like to get this resolved and I'm sure it's only something simple I've not set up.
Any ideas?
Thanks. Undecided
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: Orange light on ethernet connection

Hi David,
Has the light always been orange instead of green, or has this recently started happening?
dgreen007
Grafter

Good question...
I'm pretty sure it's always been orange 99% sure.
James
Grafter

I'm musing over whether this is actually a problem or if it's just your machine Smiley
Might be worth trying a different cabl to see if you get a green light, or checking the manual to see if the light is definitely meant to be green.
itsme
Grafter

I assume you are referring to a network card? Some cards in the pass used different colours for speed of link. Orange = 10M and Green=100M
dgreen007
Grafter

just to give you a bit more info.
I actually bought two identical machines from PC warehouse in Manchester.
Ther r refurbs with fresh installs.
They both have an orange light.
My other PC & laptop are green....
I suppose I could give them a ring
James
Grafter

Yep, sounds like a good idea Smiley
Lurker
Grafter

Lights are available in many different colours.
The last 50 or so machines I bought all use Orange for 10/100 networks and green for GB Networks, similar notation on the switches too.
paulby
Grafter

As James_G has said newer machines (and switches/routers etc.) that are GB network capable use green to indicate a GB connection and orange for anything else.  Older PCs and equipment used green for a 100M connection and orange for a 10 (although the colours weren't universally used).
KenA
Grafter

If the netwrok connections are working ok, I would not worry about it, probably just different type of NIC (network interface card).
The different colour might indicate speed, as previous posters have said.  You can check the current configured connection speed when it's connected, by going to Network Connections, right-click on the connection and select Status.
Rich
Grafter

I have four set of speakers - Two have green lights, one has blue, the other red - Which is correct? Grin
Lurker
Grafter

The Orange ones - all the rest are wrong. Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Rich
Two have green lights, one has blue, the other red - Which is correct? Grin

You can go through a green light but don't go through a red light or you're likely to see a blue light shortly after Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
StickyMick
Grafter

I've often heard engineers talk of green lights meaning good traffic and orange lights meaning tcp errors.
But as long as I've been using my ethernet port it's always been orange.
Lurker
Grafter

I depends from hardware to hardware.
Back in the day, you might have seen Green lights for activity, and Orange lights for collisions, for example.
These days of course, you don't get packet collisions 'in the wild' really, since most hardware is full-duplex these days.
So you just get link/speed of link, and activity - generally.
The colours used are of course only relevant to the particular hardware, and don't mean anything 'as standard'.