cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OptiPlex GX110 Wired Lan Card.

colintivy
Rising Star

OptiPlex GX110 Wired Lan Card.

My dear old Dell GX110 Pent III needs to talk with my HP Pavilliondv6 Notebook which has Realtek 10/100/1000GB NIC built-in. Does anyone know of a compatible card to plug into the desktop and work ?
Huh
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: OptiPlex GX110 Wired Lan Card.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/networking/network-cards then filter by PCI and there are quite a few which aren't PCI-E
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

1. Put a wanted post on Freecycle or Freegle - there's a very good chance you'll get what you need
2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Network-Cards-/20318/i.html?Type=PCI%2520Network%2520Cards&PCI%2520Cards%2... - you should be able to get one for less than £5 including postage.
Edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ethernet-PCI-Adapter-10-100-Mbps-Network-Interface-Card-/221001491859?pt=U... looks a possibility
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Alternatively, if you have a spare USB slot just buy a plug-in USB-LAN device. Cheap as chips. (£2 on eBay!)
I used to use them quite a bit when encountering older PC's with modems but no onboard LAN when helping people install broadband with "proper" routers.
Do need a driver but they usually come with a driver CD.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: colintivy
My dear old Dell GX110 Pent III needs to talk with my HP Pavilliondv6 Notebook which has Realtek 10/100/1000GB NIC built-in.

1000GB !!!  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Wow! GB not Gb! Surely that's faster than the bus speed on the PC!
VileReynard
Hero

Will that be fast enough for what the government plans for intercepting inter-personal comms will call for?
How do you store one TB per second?

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jeremy!
Sorry about that. I got those figures from the HP Manual, but I have now seen them in a brief spec as 10/100/1000Gigabit Ethernet LAN so the typography was at fault. The processor is an AMD at 2.3 GHz which I regard to be near radar use!
I do not have any experience of LANs as such, having only one computer most of the time, but the Dell XP does have a LAN outlet which appears to be of a 10/100 Gb Ethernet variety. The two computers are both plugged into my Belkin N Router (which has 4 inputs) and work properly to allow me to send this!!
What I want to do is to let each computer swap files to each other and to allow them to print things on printers without the need to swap their USB connector around as required. It did look like that it would be necessary to set up another ring to do what I wanted.. The options of PCI LAN adapters look a bit complex at first sight and I hope there is a scheme to use what I have. I also have an USB cable that purports to do the job  somewhere which I never managed to get two computers to see each other, despite having the proper drivers installed (they were Win 95 and 98SE then). If I find it I might try again.
C.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If both PCs are plugged in to the router and both can access the internet you already have all the hardware you need and should be able to access shares on the other computer.
VileReynard
Hero

You will max out at 100Mbits/sec or about 11MB / sec - assuming the router can keep up etc.
I tried a similar experiment recently, but with powerline adaptors forming a potential (additional) slowdown.
FTP managed about 3.5MB/sec between the two PC's.
This is reasonable over a number of 100Mbs connections.

colintivy
Rising Star

That was all very helpful, I did not realise that the router could do more than just connect to the internet. We live (sort of) and learn!
I have got some way towards getting there. Each computer seems to set up OK and the Win 7 does seem to see the XP machine and its printers but it also expects any other machine to be on Win 7!. The XP machine seems to want to use XP to run matters at The Win 7 end by the use of a set-up disk!!
The setting up of workgroups appears not to let me make them both the same for some reason. I have not tried to print anything on the "joint" printers yet and have not discovered the options to share folders as things seem to e organised differently in each computer. There must be a work-round when I have played some more.
Thanks.
  Wink

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If the W7 machine is in a Homegroup it's best to take it out again.
Then go through the setting in the Network & Sharing centre.
Password protected sharing is always problematic between different Windows versions so ideally don't use that.
I boringly usually put all my PC's in the old-style MSHOME workgroup. (Computer properties)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The simplest way to deal with permissions is to set up exactly the same usernames and passwords on all machines - even if some users will not directly log on to a desktop on a machine.