cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening .img files

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Opening .img files

I have a .img file which I need to open. I didn't have something that opened it automatically, so I tried Adobe. It didn't work. Now I cant get it to try something else, it automatically goes to Adobe.
Please would someone tell me how I can get a .img to to stop automatically going to Adobe, and even better, what software should I be using to get at the .img file?
TIA
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Opening .img files

which operating system as the methods are different
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a what operating system are you using, i.e XP or vista
b if you highlight the file in explorer and right click, you "should" get an item Open with, this will let you try another program
c what is the file extension, i.e. JPG, BMP, PNG?
you might have to enable show file extensions in explorer to see this
pierre_pierre
Grafter

see http://filext.com/file-extension/img for what it might be, I normally use IrfanView to look at files, it is free, dont personally know XNView
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the replies. My OS is XP. I have just tried Irfanview, but I may not have installed it properly because it complained when I tried to use it. I'll try again.
Cheers
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I have re-installed IrfanView, but it doesn't recognise the header of the file I am trying to open, I did tick the IMG box when installing Irfanview. Any suggestions please?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how far did you look down the link I gave you, unfortunately .img can be one of a lot of file types, do you know where it came from, if so there might be a better prog to use, since IrfanView, although good dosnt seem able to open all .ing files
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Also note..............  When using " Open with.. "  make sure the little check box below the main choice panel is not checked.  as this is the reason why you keep getting back to adobe....
the box reads.....    [  ]    always use this to open files of this type
make sure you "uncheck" the box  Then you can try any other programs on the list.......
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Of course it might be a Mac file - have a look here http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/img
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What sort of file is it? Is it video? If so give vlc a whirl. That should work.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

samuria
Grafter

How big is the file as this may give a clue a sit could be a disk image? Can you read it with notepad and look at the first few letters as this will tell you what sort of file it is. If you look on the page posted http://filext.com/file-extension/img
it gives the Identifying Characters for each file so you would then know what it is. As you can rename any file to anything you like it could be anything
Prod_Man
Grafter

Could have saved hastle,
Opening the File with a Hex Editor and identifying the Header Bytes is one of the easiest ways of determining a file type.
WinImage would open the kinds of '.img' Extension, which are commonly associated as Disk Images rather than Graphical Images.
Hope that helps...
Jim,
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: penneck
I have a .img file which I need to open.

You haven't said what you're expecting it to be or where it came from or the program that created it.
If you "need" to open it you must know a fair bit about it but have actually said very little.
The commonest .img files I encounter are actually firmware for upgrading electronic devices, but you are probably expecting something else.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Prod_Man
Opening the File with a Hex Editor and identifying the Header Bytes is one of the easiest ways of determining a file type.
WinImage would open the kinds of '.img' Extension, which are commonly associated as Disk Images rather than Graphical Images.

My Linux OS (Ubuntu) has been doing that for years to show different thumbnails as icons, dependent on those header bytes.
This allows it to show a thumbnail for an image file, the first frame of a movie for a thumbnail, the first page of a pdf file etc
Note that there are a few file types which have the same header bytes and need to be distinguished by looking at the filename - so it isn't totally foolproof.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Prod_Man
Grafter

Hang about there ... it isn't exactly your "OS" that is doing that,
but perhapse the Window Manager that you're using is doing that Wink
Not too different to the length that Windows has been annoying me out-of-the-box,
with their damned Thumb Nail views fine for a Graphical person....
Nothing is totally fool proof.
The Header is more useful than a File Extension.
In terms of what type of Data is likely to be within the body of the File.
Jim,