cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenVPN Port Problem

grzniuk

OpenVPN Port Problem

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a Raspberry Pi as an OpenVPN server with my Windows PC as a client. I used pivpn to set up the server and create the client config and set up my router (TP-Link AC1600) to forward port 1194 to the pi. The connection is established but there is no change in the IP. When I check udp port 1194 on https://canyouseeme.org/ it is not externally visible. It must be open on the pi for the connection to work and my PlusNet firewall is off so my question is where else do I need to look? I read some similar posts where users were able to use port 443 but not 1194 so I tried exposing 443 to test that I was port forwarding correctly and that was visible.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks,

M,

3 REPLIES 3
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: OpenVPN Port Problem

Hi,

Using a pi2, my openvpn server works fine, I do not use the default udp port. I used the instructions from www.pivpn.io

The IP address on the connecting device does not change but you should see a second IP address on the pc in 10.8.0.n range. 

Open a terminal "pivpn -c"w show connected devices on the pi. For testing install openvpn app on you phone and connect using 4g

DtV

grzniuk

Thanks Dan. I've read about people with this setup working, its just that mine isn't working! I followed the pivpn instructions too apart from changing the port. Do you think that the port number is significant? pivpn -c lists the PC with a 10.8.0.n address but if i check https://www.whatsmyip.org/ the entry is exactly the same whether I connect to VPN or not. Same story with an Android client.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

If you test VPN whilst connected to your home network you won't see any change to your public address.

I use openvpn on my android phone. I see a vodafone IP before I start the app and my home public IP when openvpn is connected. In fact the openvpn app reports this IP address on my phone.

I doubt the port assigned would make a difference, I use my own port as it makes it more secure. 

Dan