Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Office

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Open Office

For those of you who are regular users of Open Office (alternate to Microsoft Office) I've noticed a couple of minor anomalies; my mouse scroll wheel doesn't work in swriter and the OO version of .pps (and probably in the other OO options, although I haven't tried them yet) Also if I open a document from an existing file, the document folder it was opened from remains "on top" until closed or minimised.
Are these just the small prices to be paid for getting away from Microsoft? 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES 11
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Open Office

I have the latest (I think) version of open Office 2.4.1 and a wired USB mouse on my laptop with XP SP3,  the mouse scroll works in Writer, Calc and Impress, no problem
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Just tried out scroll wheel on Writer and Calc - works fine on 2.4.0;Also don't get issue with folder staying open on top?
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Another voice to add to those using Open Office but not experiencing the same problem as you. Scrolling and folder windows all working as normal with XP SP3.
Cliff
petlew
Pro

Uhmm! Ok thanks guys, back to the drawing board then...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The linux version of Open Office works OK for me.
Perhaps a M$ bug?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have four USB sockets and this afternoon was running an external HDD which requires two of the sockets, I found that the scroll was not working under these conditions, could that be the same with you?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

No - (I've got 2 external disks) one is SCSI & one has an ethernet connection.
Perhaps if someone gave me a disk with two USB connections, then maybe I could get it to fail.
Isn't a double-USB connection a bit peculiar?  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Might be but I have two, both are Ex laptop 2.5" discs in Caddies, one supplies the power, the other takes the data, they are a mixture of sizes from 4Gb up to 20,  (Total four)  one came complete with various card slots and internal battery that you can use on a trip to download your camera cards until you get back to base, the other three are a mix, one has got  Win 98 on it, and all have got various progs and data that I still havnt moved to the newer machine
Njal
Grafter

There's some discussion about mouse scrolling in Open Office here:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=751
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=53021
which might give some clues.
Regards,
Neil
petlew
Pro

Quote from: Njal

There's some discussion about mouse scrolling in Open Office here:

Thank you Njal, It seems I'm not alone then, whilst there are some fixes for it in there, it seems that OO are working on it.
As it happens, both my PC's exhibit the same problem, my laptop uses the entirely wonderful (but expensive) Logitech VX mouse (I've never really liked touch pads) and the desktop a lateish Microsoft cordless mouse (not sure of the model.

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi petlew
As recent user of the version 2.4 with ubuntu I have found the same problem except my mouse is a Genius Netscroll and is a PS2. A prelimiary look at the OO forums look interesting and when I have time will explore further. I would like to get an A4tech two wheel USB mouse  going as well. Heres hoping!
colintivy