Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Office update

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Open Office update

Downloaded new Open Office update (to V3) this morning. And pleased to see a couple of my gripes in the word processor (Writer) have been dealt with:
When first opening Writer, the cursor flashes in the document page as normal, but does not allow input until the blank page has been "clicked in" first...fixed
The mouse wheel scrolling issues (which I've posted about passim) have been fixed.
I would guess that the other applications are fixed for these as well, making a nice suite even better.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES 14
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Open Office update

And it can now import and export MS office 2007 formats  Smiley
I've not done much with it yet to check out the new features
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.0/
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that.  My trial version of MS Office expires soon and I don't feel like paying them for a full version.
petlew
Pro

Whilst on this topic; I used to do a lot of work in MS Publisher, although not so much nowadays, anybody know of a good (free) alternative, preferably one that will open Publisher files?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
mal0z
Grafter

I wish I did too - or a Publisher reader. MS don't seem to do that as they do for other files.
And I don't think x.pub files are in the new "semi-open format", like Word and excel.
I use Publisher for a magazine I do - as it is better at some things than plain Word files - and can't afford the better Adobe program.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could get the slightly out of date promo version of Serif on a magazine cover, its good and not time dated.
petlew
Pro

Thanks pierre. Check out www.freeserifsoftware.com
Pageplus 9 £9.99
Pageplus 9SE free

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try Scribus - there's a short review at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribus
This  is open source.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mal0z
Grafter

Good call AoE - I forgot that - but it doesn't open or save publisher. And I would find it difficult to use as I have to share files with 2 or 3 others who only have Publisher  Sad - and I would have to install and teach Scribus to them too.............
petlew
Pro

@axisofevil. Uhmm, have seen scribus before on someone else's PC and pretty good it looked too. However, and I could be very wrong about this but, I don't think its currently compatible with Vista, their download pages don't mention Vista at all, nor indeed any other Windows version by name (which of course may mean quite the opposite and be compatible with all Win versions) the date of the last available download is 05/08 which is not very helpful for compatibility.

mal0z
Grafter

"Choose your platform: Windows Vista/XP/2000, MacOS X, OS/2, Debian Repository w/Instructions, Source and RPMS."
http://www.scribus.net/?q=release
http://www.scribus.net/?q=faq/vista
petlew
Pro

Thanks mal0z, didn't see that page among the many on the site. So it is compatible with Vista then.
Remembered my colleague was running it on a Mac (don't know which though) not too sure why though as I always thought (never having been a Mac user!) that Mac handled DTP far better than Windows anyway. DTP is not a huge issue for me these days, I have lots of Publisher files on disks but no software to run them these days (without buying it) Have downloaded the free Serif Page Plus 9 SE, if it seems worthwhile I may upgrade to the £9.99 version, much depends on how well it handles older Publisher files.

mal0z
Grafter

I've never had a Mac - only Apple I have used was the old Apple II !!!.
But yes the publishing / graphic design fraternity seem to much prefer them.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you noticed that the Good Old BBC I player didnt work on Mac, but all the News readers had Mac's on the Desk
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re Serif, I have been using it since version 2,  was a bit quirky then but has got much better, also I am now an old duffer and dont have much use for it