Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Office query

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Open Office query

I have been using a program called Microsoft Publisher 98, since it came out !.. before you can type on a page, you have to define the "text area" with a frame, which means you can have many different size and shape (rectangular) of text area, or just make all the text fit right to the edge of the page.

You also can define a Picture area in the same way, and place it anywhere on the page,

With Open Office, and I suspect Libre Office, the text frame is already presented, which, may be the "norm" for business letters, but for other works, it is a total waste of space, and paper, when you often need two pages to complete a letter, or document, with all that white space around the edge.

Is there a way to define your own text area /size(s)  as outlined for MSPUB98 above ?

8 REPLIES 8
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Open Office query

I started using Libre Office a few months ago and, so far, have found that in in the modules I predominanrly use, Writer (equivalent to MS Word) and in Calc (Excel), it has all the facilities that Office has, albeit in different menus etc.

I rarely used Publisher (and then only years ago) and so am not familiar with the facilities of that program. However in Libre Office Draw, there is the facility to reset margins as there is in Writer. The methods are different in those two modules - in Draw there is a Properties box on the RHS which allows you to change various characteristics including margins; in Witer the facility is there by using the Edit option in the Style menu.

I very much doubt that Open Office or Libre Office will not have the facilities you want but it may not be where you expect to find it. I have found that googling often enlightens me faster than trying the program's own help facility.

Good luck!

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@shutter OpenOffice Draw allows you to create a text box of any size.

shutter
Community Veteran

@daveplus  & @jgb   OK>.. thanks for the info... will have to investigate the menu`s and see what gives...

I`m new to Open Office... so a bit to learn I suppose... 

I`m mainly concerned with Writer for documents, and letter writing... (even if I do a "formal" type letter, I still use the whole face size of the page, with only a small margin on the edges... ) stuff the "protocol". ! ! ! .. saves my paper !

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@jgb  & @daveplus 

Nosing around, I could not find anything on the main menu bar at the top... then spotted a very small three bar menu icon on the right hand side...

clicked that and found another very small down arrow next to "page".  clicked on that. and it opened up a further part of the window... showing the borders... and you can choose. wide or narrow, and even adjust the size ... so will sort it from there..

Thanks for the tips.

cheers

EDIT EDIT EDIT    I have made up a "blank page" and saved that.... also made up a "letter heading" page, and saved that,... so I should have no problems opening up new docs and letters...

Thanks again...

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@shutter I misunderstood what you wanted to do. The margins can be changed by opening the Format menu and choosing Page...

shutter
Community Veteran

@daveplus   Ah!... OK>.. found that.... will keep it in mind, if I need to do a different size to the one`s I have now saved as "templates"..

Thank you.

Wink

merlin
Dabbler

shutter
Community Veteran

@merlin  Thanks for the linky....

( does anyone actually read the instruction book, nowadays  ? ? ? ?  EmbarrassedCheesy )