Did you mean: 

Open Office - Calc queries

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 64

Open Office - Calc queries

Open Office - calc spreadsheets

I have two spreadsheets that I use, and want to display both on screen at the same time... I have them as an icon on the desktop... If I open spreadsheet A... it opens correctly... but if I go to open spreadsheet B, it REPLACES spreadsheet A on screen.  how can I get both copies to be "on screen" at the same time?

2nd query... On one of the spreadsheets, I use the 24 hr clock to record time... however, when I put in a number lower than 1000 it only shows the last three digits...i.e. for 0845 it shows as 845.  I have looked at "Format" and some other ways, but cannot figure it out .

Help on both, please.

15 REPLIES 15
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Open Office - Calc queries

Excel has a particular date and time format.  In Excel the cell format would be Time HH:MM.  I'm sure Open office will copy that.

Edit - which means that 0845 would be 08:45.  I'm not sure if you can miss-out the colon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it not support a Tile or Cascade option under Window or View? And can you use a custom format for the time as HH:MM?

shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Cracked the time format.... thanks for the idea  guys....08:45   produces  08:45:00  which is a bit too precise... so I tried 08;45 and that shows as 08;45   so semi colon it is...

not sure about the tile or cascade bit... will go and have a look see..

Nope... can`t find any reference to Tile or Cascade.. in View .. window.. or Options.. ...

I have managed to open two sheets... but only through "Open with....... Internet Explorer".. as a "one off" option..i.e. to do the same tomorrow, I will have to "open with..... " again.  rather than just click "open" on BOTH items. which is a tad inconvenient. !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Normally to display seconds you would use SS or maybe ss, so maybe check your format sequence to see if they’re present or use a custom format of just HH:MM

Edit:- Is there an 'Arrange' option pehaps?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous yes, there is an "arrange" option in the "Format" tool.... however, all the options on the drop down menu are greyed out.. ( on both sheets )...

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 'Arrange' was actually in reference to the placement of the open documents, sorry bad context in edit. I don't know what version of software you're running but I suspect there must be a way to view two (or more) open documents at once.

shutter
Community Veteran

Open Office 4.1.1  build 9775 rev 1617669  from the "Help" About drop down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW @shutter I don't actually use OO, but v4.1.3 is available on apache.org. When you open multiple documents do you get any additional menu options appearing; such as Documents, Worksheets, Windows etc? If you do then it might be worth looking at the options they offer, as I find it hard to believe that OO does not support Tile or Cascade.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@shutter wrote:

OK... Cracked the time format.... thanks for the idea  guys....08:45   produces  08:45:00  which is a bit too precise... so I tried 08;45 and that shows as 08;45   so semi colon it is...

I think the use of a colon may cause the programme to treat the cell as a text entry.  That superficially solves your problem of removing trailing zeros from number entries but does not give you a proper time format.  In the correct format you should be able to manipulate the numbers so, for example, find the difference between two times by subtraction.  As @Anonymous says, you had the time format set to HH:MM:SS and you just need to edit that to be HH:MM

@shutter you need to take control and set the cell format yourself, not just modify the entry and have the program guess what type of format you are trying to achieve. 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have Libreoffice and this is how I do it.

Open one spreadsheet in Calc.

Click 'Window' > 'New Window' to open a new blank spreadsheet.

Open the other spreadsheet in this new window using either 'Open' or 'Recent Documents'

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Can't help with the multiple ss but the time should format it if you select the whole column and chose format as time then hh:mm.
Does on mine.
shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@Anonymous  I have the two spreadsheet located on my desktop... as two icons.. ( as if two separate document files ).

as mentioned, If I open one, by right click and "open"... then that is fine...  prior to this thread, and my use of I.E as an option, if I tried the same thing on the 2nd spreadsheet, whilst the first one is open, the 1st one disappears to let the 2nd one show. Now that I have opened it with I.E.  I get the option on the right click  to "open with"... and I.E. is mentioned in the drop down... so it is not really a problem any more..as now I can show both spreadsheets on screen at the same time.

@ReedRichards@... & @HairyMcbiker the time format is not "critical".. and I do understand what you are saying about setting the whole column to show the correct time format... which is where I shall go next !..

@Strat  Thanks for that tip... but I think I have solved it now, as mentioned, above.!.

For those who understand...  one spreadsheet was my QRZ contact list... the other is a simplified log showing date and time etc... It makes it easier to update them/refer back to them,  if they are "on show-on screen" during my qso`s.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter, For what it's worth now @Strat's approach is the way to do what you want correctly, and I'd prefer that option over using I.E. any day of the week.

Edit:- If you do it as Strat suggests then you should then see the option to Cascade or Tile the open windows (documents).

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

@shutter to select the whole column just right click on the label at the top A/B/Z/etc
This will select the whole column (or row if you click on the LHS ones)