Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ooops

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Ooops

I was clumsy and knocked a bottle of Coke (the liquid brown version) on to my keyboard. Arrgh!!
I've given the keyboard 30 seconds under a cool shower head and have shaken the water out. and the board is hanging on the washing line in the warm sun.  Hopefully it will soon be okay, but other suggestions welcomed.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Ooops

It won't need ironing but will probably be ok once dried out....and in this weather it shouldn't take long.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The best option with these is a dishwasher wash  Wink
Failing that new k'boards aren't expensive (unless it is a special one)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Coke can be used for general cleaning http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_coca_cola.htm

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

i'd be inclined to do a little more than rinse it under the shower.  it's not difficult to take a keyboard to pieces.  have a  camera handy to image the layout and where all the bits go at each stage of disassembly, then putting it back together is easy.  keyboards tend to be relatively uncomplicated bits of kit.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Hairy
new k'boards aren't expensive

Last one I bought was well under a fiver.  Shocked
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You could probably dry it out with a hairdryer !...
(Do NOT put it in the microwave !....)
thejudge
Rising Star

Quote from: artificer
it's not difficult to take a keyboard to pieces

But it can be a right old PITA to put one back together again. I lost a perfectly functional keyboard because of that annoying bar-clip under the spacebar - the [censored] thing wouldn't gp back right.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

well judging by the lack of response from the OP it sounds worse than he thought Wink Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Nope - I've plugged it in this morning after patiently waiting overnight for it to dry. All is well thanks. I particularly like my usual keyboard because it has an in-built mute button and a finger touch volume control.
We always used to trash "coked" keyboards from the trading floors where I used to manage the IT infrastructure. In those cases the traders always swapped their "coked" keyboard from the desk of someone on holiday, by the time the problem was reported the coke had hardened down to sticky caramel.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.