cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ooh, something has gone wrong with my display/screen -please help!!

bubbalicious
Grafter

Ooh, something has gone wrong with my display/screen -please help!!

Can anyone Please help me figure out what has happened to My screen/display and tell me how to fix it!
I am using Vista Home Premium, have a dedicated graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600!, screen size 1280x800
A little earlier Iwas copying photos from my SD card using the integrated Card reader and they were all copying fine so I started up Tomb Raider game! The game started up,  and then I presume when the photos had finished the game was interupted to show the desktop but It had turned itself around and now I have the screen facing long ways - with the taskbar running down the side instead of the bottom!!!Looking at the 'Display propertied' screen, I can see wher it lets you identify the monitors the screen size reads as 800x1280 and the diagram seems to show it being the wrong way round as well! I have looked that the ATI graphics settings and i can't see anywhere how to change the orientation!!  I'm also finding the touchpad is a bti of a struggle to move to where i want it to go. I am well and truly stumped.
I've refreshed the screen,  changed the screen size to see if the orientation chagned with no luck, restored it back to before the problem occurred and I don't know what else to try!! When the laptop starts up all the startup screens are the correct way until I get to the login screen and then its all sideways!! Starting up in sfe mode it puts the screen the right way!!!
I am in a bit of a panic, my 4yr old Niece is having her birthday party tomorrow and I need to clear my SD card, I can see that the photos have copied but I 'm concerned i clear the card nad this screen orientation problem will effect the photos,whereas when the screen is turned around I find the photso are corrupt  and clearing the card off I may lose all my photos! have copied but this 'screen' problem I cam worried will effect the photos I was copying to the laptop?  Apart from that I am getting a crick in my neck from having to type on the side (i aplogise for the spellijg, gramma but I am looking at the letters the wrong way round)
Anu lovely clever person who can put this right, you'll be my hero!!!
6 REPLIES 6
notheruser
Grafter

Re: Ooh, something has gone wrong with my display/screen -please help!!

You ought to be able to fix this in the ATI Catalyst Control Centre - the ability to rotate the diplay is a feature of their cards (though why you'd ever want to do it on a laptop is beyond me!)
In the Control Panel, below the drop-downs for Desktop Are, Colour Quality and Refresh Rate, should be a drop-down for Rotation. It should be set for Standard Landscape.
Be3G
Grafter

Try hitting ctrl + alt + ↑ (up arrow) and see if that does the trick.
Not applicable

Quote from: notheruser
(though why you'd ever want to do it on a laptop is beyond me!)

Some older projectors didn't allow you to set rotation of the image, so if a projector was mounted upside down on a ceiling, you might need a way to turn the image upside down.
Every projector I've seen over the last 5 years has the ability to set rotation built into it though, so your point still stands!
notheruser
Grafter

you might need a way to turn the image upside down.

Couldn't you just turn the laptop upside down?  Cheesy Huh
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: notheruser
you might need a way to turn the image upside down.

Couldn't you just turn the laptop upside down?  Cheesy Huh

Yeah ! but you would find that the keyboard is upside down too!..... and makes spelling very difficult..  Huh anyway I think the problem is not vertical, but horizontal, and therefore requires "lateral" thinking to produce the correct aspect for visualisation of the display Wink
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheers All,  I am now looking at the screen where it should be!
It was the ATI catalyst - I have these things and other than know how they let my nephew play his Disney Cars game , I'm a bit ignorant to what they do but  I am trying learn!!  The keyboard buttons worked perfectly and i was able to get done all I needed to do in time without a crick in my neck
Cheers to all
sally