cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onward to Windows 8, Windows 4.0/95 Turns 15 Today

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Onward to Windows 8, Windows 4.0/95 Turns 15 Today

Microsoft is hard at work building the next major iteration of its operating system, unofficially labeled Windows 8, but 15 years ago today the company was releasing Windows 4.0.
Also known by the codename Chicago, Windows 4.0 hit store shelves on August 24th, 1995, marking an important step forward in terms of the evolution of Windows.
15 years after an immensely successful platform was launched, the Redmond company now owns the fastest selling operating system in history.
Windows 7 licenses are being sold at a rate of more than 7 copies per second, with 175 million copies of the OS pushed to customers worldwide since the October 22nd, 2010 launch.
“Being here at Microsoft for the Windows 95 launch back in 1995 was an amazing time, and it is strange to look back on those heady days of Chicago etc… great to hear anyone's experiences or reminiscent thoughts on Windows 95,” noted Microsoft’s Rob Margel.
Margel was also the one that shared the video embedded at the bottom of the screen. Some users might still remember the fact that Windows 95 was launched to the tune of Start Me Up from the Rolling Stones.
Windows 95 set the foundation for the evolution of the graphical user interface in Windows up to this day.

More details with Windows 95 launch video for anyone interested....http://news.softpedia.com/news/Onward-to-Windows-8-Windows-4-0-95-Turns-15-Today-153499.shtml
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Onward to Windows 8, Windows 4.0/95 Turns 15 Today

It hasn't changed significantly since Windows 3.0.
Don't believe the corporate hype.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I cant really argue with you there, I've only started using PC and windows the last couple years, (Blame my girlfriend) She says I am now a dork/geek, I just say nonsense, Us men NEED to know how everything works so we can fix It when It breaks down, I can see changes and improvements from XP Pro To Windows seven though ( I skipped vista ) Music in the launch video Is good though, You surely cant deny that!!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Steve

She says I am now a dork/geek, I just say nonsense, Us men NEED to know how everything works so we can fix It when It breaks down,
.............................You surely cant deny that!!

Should read

She says I am now a dork/geek, I just say nonsense, Us men NEED to know how everything works so we can fix It when women break it

.............................You surely cant deny that!!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well you said It shutter Grin Keeps me out of trouble with SWMBO Grin
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
Windows 7 licenses are being sold at a rate of more than 7 copies per second, with 175 million copies of the OS pushed to customers worldwide since the October 22nd, 2010  launch.

That's pretty impressive for a product that hasn't yet been released Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well spotted, I wondered who would be the first to mention that, Just shows you how interesting this subject Is Grin
colintivy
Rising Star

Quote from: A
It hasn't changed significantly since Windows 3.0.
Don't believe the corporate hype.

Only a lot of bloat and built-in obsolescence to keep the pot boiling.  Glad to be getting out of it!! (Playing with XP on another old machine just now)
😕
badwolf
Grafter

I don't want to know about Windows 8 thanks, I've only just finish rolling out 7 to 700+ computers Cry Angry
Anyone remember the Wheezer vid that came on the CD of '95? Good times Smiley