cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online storage advice, please

jeremyrussell

Online storage advice, please

I have a requirement for online storage, specifically to hold VMWare virtual machines preconfigured for training classes that I deliver.  Each VM can be up to 6GB in size and I anticipate needing at least 25GB of space.
These could then be downloaded by my clients when I have a scheduled class, together with the VMWare Player, to simplify my setup activities when I visit for a class delivery.
I don't anticipate updating / uploading these often, but I'm hopeful that there will be a number of downloads each month, therefore low cost and high speed download data transfer rates are important.
Does anyone have experience in purchasing online storage (e.g. http://www.xdrive.com, http://www.mediamax.com, http://www.globaldatavault.com/, ... ).  I'm especially interested in the cost and the reliability of such services - prices vary wildly per GB, some services have an initial setup charge and some charge per GB downloaded also.
Thanks in advance for any advice or experience you might have.
JR
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Online storage advice, please

Hi there,
This is actually a venture from my old boss.
https://ewedrive.com/
I'm not sure if this would be something along the lines that you would be looking for, but I thought I'd throw it into the midst Smiley
jeremyrussell

Thanks, James - I was pretty sure I wasn't the only one thinking of this kind of solution. 
I'm also considering the use of DVD images to hold the VM, but I'm having a few issues in writing compatible formats that can be read on other systems.  I deliver classes in several countries (both Europe and US) - plugs, power supply and airline security checks on hardware are all issues I don't want to deal with, hence the download thought.  I already figured that downloading from online storage might not be a practical concept.
And yes, I have considered the licencing options.  It'd be useful to have an XP-based virtual machine - I purchased a new copy of XP Pro recently and can create VM's using it.  I've also approached Microsoft through a reseller to enquire about volume licencing but that's not now available for XP. 
Initially, I want to use this for Java/J2EE classes, all based on open source software, so there are no licencing issues.  And VMWare have an option to create time-expiring virtual machines, therefore I can make the VM non-functional shortly after the class.
I'll take a look at EweDrive ... thanks also for that.

--
Edit - looked briefly at EweDrive - those talking sheep are kind of freaky!
James
Grafter

Hehe. Yeah.
I still keep in touch occasionally with Paresh and a couple of developers (he owned MetroNet pre takeover) so if you need any further details, I should be able to help.
jeremyrussell

Cheers; I'm now fighting the concept of DVD writing and can't seem to get the DVD to be read by any other machine right now.  My dustbin is accumulating a collection of unreadable and un-reusable media and I'm about to go for a walk to my local Maplin to buy some more.
Why is nothing easy in this world?
James
Grafter

Because then life would be boring Smiley
God
Grafter

Checkout www.diino.com
I have had one of their free 2gig accounts for some time and found it very reliable. So I can only imagine their paid for larger accounts would be as good if not better.
jeremyrussell

Nope, I didn't misunderstand!  I purchased a fresh copy of XP Pro (whilst on a trip to the US a couple of weeks ago, cos it was cheaper), principally to prove the technical issues to my satisfaction.
I also bought a licence for VMWare (at $189) and created a VM with my XP Pro.
Since it seemed to work, I've activated the new XP inside a VM.  Then - and I probably should have made the call first - I contacted an MS reseller to enquire about volume licences.  After some back and forth with Bill's Boys, this was the response I got:
“The only option for XP professional is FPP, there are no options for OVL.”.
i.e. buy the Full Packaged Product at £220/copy, since we won't sell the OEM Volume Licence to you.
I'd have paid for volume licences at a reasonable rate, but £220 is not within my definition of reasonable.  I'm therefore probably going to go with Linux and other zero cost software, of which there is plenty in the areas for which I deliver classes.
I tried to be legal *and* pay Microsoft some money.  Their loss, although I'm not sure it'll worry them!
Thanks again,
JR