cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for the tech-heads :p (VGA pinouts for laptop screen)

StickyMick
Grafter

One for the tech-heads :p (VGA pinouts for laptop screen)

He heee, this will get your grey matter working.
Recently I did a complete rebuild of a Dell CSx laptop. I had a Dell CS and a Csx. Both were shot and consigned to the skip. After a weeks work of butchering and cannibalising I ended up with a working CSx.
I now have a spare screen that I would like to connect to my old Pentium III system. What I would like to do before attempting this crazy idea is to find out what the pin-outs are in relation to a standard VGA connector so I can build an adapter. I would then need to find a way of powering the screen and the back lights.
The screen itself has 2 connectors, one which went to the laptop motherboard, just in front of the external VGA monitor connector that, so I'm guessing that's the VGA. The other connector which comes through the opposite hinge would be the power and backlight connector.
Anyone have any ideas how to convert these to the necessary pin-outs?
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: One for the tech-heads :p (VGA pinouts for laptop screen)

Would http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector help?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

StickyMick
Grafter

Thanks for the link, axisofevil. Wikipedia never crossed my mind during my searches. However, that only answers half of my question, I'm afraid.
What I now need to know is, how do I identify the matching connections on the laptop connectors.
I've taken some pics to try to illustrate what I'm hoping to achieve. Click each thumbnail for close ups.

These are the two connectors. The one on the left of the picture is, I believe, the VGA connector. The one on the right is the power and backlight connector.

This picture shows both connectors in place on the motherboard.
What I want to achieve is to be able to convert the Dell VGA connector, as seen in the first pic, to a D-sub plug so I can plug that into a standard VGA out on a graphics card.
Then I need to work out a way to connect the power and backlight plug to a suitable power source.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Internally laptops will use a digital interface to the LCD panel, you will be very lucky if you can convert to VGA.
StickyMick
Grafter

Never thought of that one Huh
I was planning on doing a mega case-mod and incorporating the laptop screen instead of a monitor. Maybe it's back to the drawing board then. Undecided