Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympics and bandwidth usage

acarneiro
Grafter

Olympics and bandwidth usage

Hi guys!
A few (well, QUITE a few!) months ago you made a blog post with a lot of "behind the scenes" details about your bandwidth usage, peaks during spoting events, your infrastructure, etc.
Now, I'm not IT professional but I am a self-confessed geek and would love to know what's going on 1with the olympics.
How are you monitoring your network performance? Are you expecting increased traffic? Have you deployed more bandwidth to deal with this? What sort of bandwidth is being gobbled up by your users?
Which type of traffic are you seeing on your network during different times of day? VoIP? Streaming video/audio? HTTP? NNTP?
As I said: just curious Smiley
André
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Olympics and bandwidth usage

There's a recent blog that might go some way to answering your queries http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/07/25/linear-tv-is-so-2011-on-demand-and-streaming-is-the-future...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've also made the largest single increase to our capacity that I can remember: http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1343118351.htm
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Can you tell us how much? They used to but that one doesn't Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It's a big one!  THe network has loads of space on right now though.  You can see this by just how good the average latency is on the silver queues right now.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager