Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Netgear DG834 given me but not working

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Old Netgear DG834 given me but not working

Toss up now, whether to get a wireless on grounds that it would give flexibility should I want it, or go for a wired because at moment I have just the one connection. Can wireless modem routers be used as wired?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
James
Grafter

They sure can.
Luzern
Hero

If I go for the Netgear DG834g. £43 at Amazon,  amd at least pro-tem use it as wired, will the protocols---PPPoA etc be the same as for my Binatone ADSL 500 modem?
Thanks for your very patient kindnesses Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
holdtight
Grafter

Yes the protocols will remain the same for both and at that price for the DG834G you cant go wrong
its an excellent router
With one pc just hard wire it which in itself is far more secure plus you have wireless functionality
should you need it in the future
There`s also not much point in being tempted by the later higher data transport routers
unless you are going to be shifting a lot of data over a network this is when they really
come into there own so the netgear will do you just fine
holdtight
Grafter

Quote from: fcel
As for the WAG54G
I have had two of these in the recent past and both suffered wireless failure within 12 months. A quick Google suggested overheating as the culprit and on reflection they did run hot.

Yes there did seem to be many people who had problems with the linksys, i recall at the time that
there were forums chocka with complaints about it so maybe i was just plain lucky but its still running
just fine with no stability or heat problems
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Same here, my WAG54GX2 has been running great, with no heat problems (and its sitting on top of a cupboard pretty near the oven!). My previous WAG54G was great too (I can't remember where that disappeared to).
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If you want to save a few quid on a DG834G get a second hand one from DSL Depot or if they don't have any (didn't last time I looked) then the speedtouch 576v5 is a good alternative.
fceluk
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
my WAG54GX2 has been running great, with no heat problems

Must have been two out of a Friday night batch I had.
Unfortunately most manufacturers don't fix Bad Batch labels to their products.  Wink
James
Grafter

I actually wrote the support guide for the WAG54G on the MetroNet site before it got revamped.
My initial feelings on that router was that it wasn't particularly intuitive in auto-connecting.
God
Grafter

I have used the DG834G, DG834N and the BT Voyager 4 port wireless router and all have worked well with similar performance. I prefer the Netgear kit for looks, heat generation and software interface.
God
Grafter

BTW, When I said I prefer the Netgear for heat generation I meant the lack of it compared to the BT kit, rather than commending a Netgear router’s ability to warm my hands in the winter or roast chestnuts.
Luzern
Hero

Is it good for making toast on the end of a fork? Grin
Blimey I never thought am ignorant's question like mine would get all this going.
Luzern
Hero

removed