Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Netgear DG834 given me but not working

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Old Netgear DG834 given me but not working

When connected as per instructions no lights come on. I've made sure all cables are tight in and also have put transformer in to different power socket. No change! Is there any other ruse or test I can use, or shall I conclude it's kaput. It's about 6 yo and given me by S-i-L to replace my old modem.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
27 REPLIES 27
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Old Netgear DG834 given me but not working

Is this a dg834 v1, v2, V3 or v4 model - see the lable underneath.
Do you see any sign of life when it is switched on. Normally all the front lights are lit to shown the leds are working before enything else happens.
1. With it powered on press the reset button in for 30 seconds - this is the small pin-hole you see at the back.
2. Try the recovery software from here.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: Peter
Is this a dg834 v1, v2, V3 or v4 model - see the lable underneath.
Do you see any sign of life when it is switched on. Normally all the front lights are lit to shown the leds are working before enything else happens.
1. With it powered on press the reset button in for 30 seconds - this is the small pin-hole you see at the back.
2. Try the recovery software from here.

No indicatiosn as to version on base, but serail is
DG8713BSA015088
Lights? And there was darkness on the face of the router!!
I will try suggestion #1 most likely after weekend as out all day tomorrow.
Will also look at #2 then. Thanks for help so far.
I was also wondering if everything else like the network connection was a possible source of problem, and found something that referred to ipconfig -all. This is a screen shot of what I got.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero

@Peter Vaughan re13/10/2007, 19:37
Pinhole tried but no luck
As there are no lights I wonder how the recovery s/ware could work, but gave it a whirl. A choice of 1394 Network adapter was listed twice and nVidia... Network Controller. Clicked on last and the dialogue screen went blank once timer was finished.
I had enabled the connection in Control panel and disabled that for the Binatone before doing things.
@PJ It would interesting to know if the fault lay with router or adapter, but query cost of new adapter, were that the problem, being economic. I'm on Home Surf legacy and will keep a change in mind, possibly to Option 2. However either on the Community or elsewhere I get impression that the BT routers have problems. OTOH the Netgears seem to get good reports. Comments on virtues of eac perhaps?
@anybody
I attach what appears im network connection and device manager lists. Is there anything else I should have there?
ed
Grafter

elsewhere I get impression that the BT routers have problems. OTOH the Netgears seem to get good reports. Comments on virtues of eac perhaps?

I would say it's the other way around.
Netgear DG834PN, looks sexy, but even though it had 6 inbuilt ariels the wifi was lousy and dispite many firmware upgrades it crashed about once per week.
BT Voyager 2110, look of a brick, but dispite only having a single areil the wifi is solid as a rock, and it's never crashed!
ed
Grafter

The Netgear software was full of bugs, the hardware was probably good but after months of waiting for them to get the firmware right I thought sod it, read all the reviews, and the Voyage 2110 came out top, and having lived with it 3 months or so now, i would have to agree with the reviews.
Just think, the Voyager was developed in the UK, for the UK market, by the UKs biggest phone company. They obviously know a thing or two about UK radio and telephone network, or use something made in the USA for a USA market. No brainer realy.
Luzern
Hero

How's the Voyager do for holding a connection compatrd with the Netgear? What faetures on each have particular value, e.g ability to get stats. fiddle with SNRm- that sort of thing?
BTW dis anyone look at the.lpg attachments to answer the last part of my recent post? Just im case I've missed something.
Rikaitch
Grafter

I get the impression either the PSU's dead on it, or the router's actually cattled. If you have no lights, then I'd say it's a lost cause. The screengrab showed that the network wasn't even connected, so the 5 volt signal going back to the PC wasn't even there. Basically, look for another router.
Quote from: PJ
Have you considered re-grading to BBYW and getting a wireless router for free from PlusNet?

This sounds like a damn fine idea.
Luzern
Hero

@Rikaitch, Cheapskate that I am, I am coming to same conclusion, so now to prise open the beloved's piggy bank.
Hopefully someone will respond to the first para of my last post now
How's the Voyager do for holding a connection compatrd with the Netgear? What faetures on each have particular value, e.g ability to get stats. fiddle with SNRm- that sort of thing?
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: ed
elsewhere I get impression that the BT routers have problems. OTOH the Netgears seem to get good reports. Comments on virtues of eac perhaps?

I would say it's the other way around.

From my own personal hands-on experience with a Voyager 210 and a Netgear DG834v2, I agree, it is the other way round.
Regards .....
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
How's the Voyager do for holding a connection compatrd with the Netgear?

I have a Netgear DG834v2 and a Voyager 210 and as far as holding the connection goes, there's nothing to choose between them. However, this only applies with interleaving ON. I've found with interleaving OFF, it makes no difference with the Netgear but the Voyager doesn't like it at all. The Voyager re-syncs a lot with interleaving OFF but with interleaving ON, it's fine.
What faetures on each have particular value, e.g ability to get stats. fiddle with SNRm- that sort of thing?

Stats are much more comprehensive with the Voyager 210 than with the Netgear but there's an excellent utility called RouterStats which creates real-time graphs of noise margin, line sync speed etc. but it doesn't work with the Voyager.
Regards .....
puddy
Grafter

why not get the speedtouch 716wl v5 that plus net sell and use those free 250 minutes of free voip telephone calls?
I have mine for over 11 months and its wireless as well and very easy to setup

Puddy
speedtouch 716wl
wireless
adsl 2+
4 ports
1 usb port
2 Voip ports
fceluk
Grafter

If it has no version number underneath then it's probably V1.
I would stick a test meter on the little power plug to check for at least 12 volts. There are loads of replacement powerpacks available and you may even have a suitable one stuck in a kitchen drawer or in the shed.
Considering we are currently on Version 4 with lots of patches and fixes behind us, a replacement along the lines of those mentioned above seems advisable though.
holdtight
Grafter

Quote from: ed
Netgear DG834PN, looks sexy, but even though it had 6 inbuilt ariels the wifi was lousy and dispite many firmware upgrades it crashed about once per week

I agree with some of that it does look sexy and although it has never crashed on me and is
stable the wifi range regardless of the 6 aerials is atrocious with it dropping out frequently on my laptop
even when im in the same room
The wireless range on the two previous netgear models were far far better but even they have never
touched the linksys wag54g i still have for sheer stability and range its best router ive owned so far

fceluk
Grafter

As for the WAG54G
I have had two of these in the recent past and both suffered wireless failure within 12 months. A quick Google suggested overheating as the culprit and on reflection they did run hot.